Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install things or change things in MSConfig (Admin problems)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Freude am Fahren

Freude am Fahren

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

I recently had a pretty badly infected computer that was sorted out over at the PCPitstop Forums (see thread here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...170536&st=0 ). Now that I am (presumably) clean, I have some other issues.

During the repair to my system I was told to update my Java (as well as uninstall old versions). I got a few notices that I couldn't because of admin things, but they uninstalled anyway it looked like, but then when I tried to install the latest (jre-6u14-windows-i586.exe) it says "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." Thing is I am the only user and have full administrator access. Doing some searching, I found the trying the MSInstaller clean up utility could help, but that give the same message when I try it. Then I saw I could check msconfig to make sure it was running. MSConfig shows it as Stopped, but the box is checked next to it. Trying to check and uncheck, then apply, it says "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an administrator account to make the specified changes."

I also tried to update iTunes today and it failed to install as well.

Some information:
Dell Inspiron E1705
Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3
Running Trend Micro PC-Cillin, SAS, Ad-Aware

I don't know if the cleaning messed up something, or if I am still infected.

Edited by Freude am Fahren, 05 August 2009 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

MSConfig shows it as Stopped, but the box is checked next to it. Trying to check and uncheck, then apply, it says "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an administrator account to make the specified changes."

Do you have an HP printer? The msconfig isssue can be caused by HP printers.
If you do have an HP printer:

Make your change in msconfig.
When you get the error message, click OK.
Another box may open, do the same thing, click OK.
Everything will close out, you will be asked if you want to restart the computer.

More information can be found here: http://www.pchell.com/support/msconfig_acc...ied_error.shtml
There is a way to get rid of it, but it involves editing the registry.
IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH EDITING THE REGISTRY, DON'T DO IT.
You'll have to live with the message each time you use msconfig.

#3 Freude am Fahren

Freude am Fahren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

Thanks. Could you repost that link? It got snipped and doesn't work properly (the ellipsis stays when clicking it).

I've heard this could be an HP thing.

I got the install problems fixed by installing the newest Windows Installer directly from the microsoft website. So it's just the MSConfig, as well as a SQL update that always fails when windows updates (been doing this for much much longer though, so I ignore it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users