Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows explorer crash

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

whenever i go to a specific folder in my HD a message pops up saying the windows explorer has been shut down. and restarts when i hit the ok button. this has never done it b4 i wanna know what in the living heck is going on!! i have many important files located in that folder, and i cannot access them. :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

Have you scanned for viruses, spyware, and adware using current definition files. Or it may be a conflict with another app. Have you recently installed any hardware or software?

It may be helpful to others if you post your OS.

Randall

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

my comp has been infected and with the help of the HiJack This team i got it cleaner than ever b4

i have WinXP SP1

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:07 PM

I'm glad you got cleaned, but have you done RECENT scans? Since this only happens when you go to "a specific folder", my first thought is that folder is either infected or corrupted. To see if it's infected, run up-to-date malware, spyware, anti-virus programs. Be sure to update before running.

If you don't have these programs post here and there will be suggestions.

Randall

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:49 PM

First thing you need to do is go to
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
in internet explorer

and GET SERIVE PACK 2 (SP2)

#6 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

my dad will kill if he finds any hint of SP2

i can open and browse in the folder then it will bring up an error report window and my entire desktop goes blank

- Rick Cook

#7 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

What exactly, everything, does the error message say? Also, I don't have (don't want/it's a personal thing) XP. Does it have an event viewer?

I may be off base, but you still haven't stated about RECENT scan results.

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:37 PM

i will get to scanning the folder ASAP, but i have 1.25gbs of stuff and a 5400RPM HD... in turn that equals really long scanning time, i have things to do, stuff to fix, people to help. maybe tomorrow morning

- Rick Cook

#9 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:12 AM

ok i have scanned the folder with everything i have, nothing. is there a way to move the files somewhere else without actually opening the folder?

P.S.: i shoulda told u guys this a long time ago, i d/l-ed a codec pack because i was sick and tired of d/l-ing videos that couldnt be played. after i did this, then all the problems started occurring.

- Rick Cook

#10 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:29 AM

w00t!! i just uninstalled the codec pack, and presto! the codec packs name is Ace Mega Codec Pack. i think it caused some kind of unexplanable conflict of some sort. well, i'm gonna update most of the files now. :thumbsup:

- Rick Cook

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:01 AM

I suggest you get into the routine, of backing up importat files to disk, at least once a month.
More often, if you add, or make changes to, files a lot.
In this instance, you were lucky. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

yea, whew. not d/l-ing another codec pack for awhile lol

- Rick Cook

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

You should convince your dad on the benefits of downloading (actually ordering the free cd instead of downloading) SP2 as you can get no other future Windows updates until you do.

Your system right now is a catastrophe waiting to occur, with serious security faults too numerous to mention that were addressed in SP 2, plus it is now and will become even more so a slower system than one with SP2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users