Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

work around for admin password

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikemak

mikemak

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

We have an acer netbook aoa110 1gb,xp home and the number 1 key will not work.Problem is the admin. password for this netbook has a 1 in it.I can log on as user because there is no password but not admin.I tried using the on screen keyboard but it doesnt come up until after youre logged on.Is there a way to work around this using the user to somehow log on as admin and change the admin password using the on screen keyboard.If that makes sense?thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

You could try plugging in a USB keyboard.

Also some laptop keyboard have a type of keypad. For example my laptop will type a "1" by pressing Fn+J.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

The cheap thing would be to borrow a usb keyboard and change it to something else. But idealy you want to fix the problem. So you could get a keyboard on ebay. Or I have had good luck with an Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows they have a great tool that will allow you to change the password of user profile. But you have to have a USB DVD drive to run it or put it on a USB Key.

uByte

#4 ricrac

ricrac

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

Not trying to be a smart ass but, did you try both No. 1's? If it's actually a keyboard problem, maybe the other No. 1 might work.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

Acer aoa110 has NumLock feature.
Turn NumLock ON by pressing NumLk (the F11 key) while holding Fn key.
While holding down Alt type 49 on Numlock keys (the usual U and 9 keys). Then release Alt. The combination Alt 49 would type 1 in password box.

EDIT: Well if Numpad is on why not type 1 from it (the J key).

Edited by Romeo29, 06 August 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#6 mikemak

mikemak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

yes I used my usb keyboard and got the password changed.After messing with it awhile and talking to acer tech I have found out alittle more.I did try holding fn and the number 1 on the j key,that doesnt work,tried num lock and it doesnt seem to be working also.Acer said I need to reinstall the keyboard driver.Well to do that I need to run the erecovery console which requires pushing alt+f10,that does nothing and I cant find this erecovery program on this netbook.Maybe I deleted it somehow but dont remember doing so.Its not there I have looked everywhere.Why would they include this option on a small drive and include a set of disk?Cant I locate the driver for the keyboard(not shown on acer downloads site)and uninstall/reinstall or will I have to hook up a cd drive and use the disk it came with and start all over to maybe fix this problem that could be a bad keyboard?thanks

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:09 AM

Reinstalling the operating system is a little drastic just to reinstall the keyboard driver. The keyboard driver is a generic one and it likely won't fix your issue. However if you want to do this just go to Start then Run and type in devmgmt.msc. This will open Device Manager and from there you can right click the keyboard, uninstall and reboot to reinstall. Alternately you can follow these instructions from MS to update your keyboard driver although I don't see there being an update.

You can however reinstall the Synaptics Touchpad Driver which is available from Acer. This driver contains components for the keyboard according to the release notes in the .zip file. I assume you know how to find it as you've looked for the keyboard driver. If you do this you remove the Synaptics Driver from add/remove programs, reboot and install what you've downloaded. I'm not sure what functionality you'll have as far as moving the cursor goes when you go to reinstall Synaptics so to be safe use an external mouse and make sure its working before you try this.

Having said all that, what I would do is physically remove the keyboard and make sure it is clean underneath. This could possibly be your issue. I was unable to find a service manual for that netbook so you'll have to wing it.

A couple of notes:

If the touchpad is not working properly, the touchpad may be disabled. To enable the touchpad, press and hold the Function (Fn) key and tap the F7 key on the keyboard once.

That may come in handy if you do reinstall the Synaptics driver. You can also try this to see what will happen when you uninstall Synaptics.

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del
Click Start Task Manager.
Under the Applications tab, click New Task
Click the Browse.
Click Computer.
Double-click Acer (C:).
Double-click the Acer folder

You may locate the eRecovery there although considering the fact that you were supplied with the recovery cd and the fact you have an 8 or 16GB SSD (depending on the model) I doubt you will have a recovery partition due to space limitations. Using Alt + F10 activates the recovery program and it in turn draws from the recovery partition when not using the supplied cd. If you were to attach an external drive and insert the recovery cd using Alt + F10 would start the recovery process. If you want to check for that partition go to Start then run and type in compmgmt.msc. On the left go to Disk Management. The recovery partition will show up as a partition in Disk 0.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

Have you tried the on screen keyboard ?

not sure if this will work I have not tried it yet on my way to work

All Programs, Accessories, Accessibility, Screen Keyboard

Bear
Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet