Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"This program cannot run in DOS mode" Win 98 Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trace1350

trace1350

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

"This program cannot run in DOS mode" When I type setup from my disk drive :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

What program would that be?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

On Win98 CD you have to change to the folder "win98" by doing cd win98 before you can type setup to run the setup.

On Win98 CD there is a file setup.exe in the root folder. This is supposed to be run from within Windows only.
The real Win98 setup.exe and all the other setup files are inside a sub-folder win98.

If we assume that your CD drive letter is E:, then I guess you were trying to run E:\setup.exe instead of E:\win98\setup.exe.

What I personally used to do when installing Win98 was :
1. boot into DOS mode using a floppy with CD drivers.
2. Copied folder win98 from CD to hard disk, so that I had C:\win98
3. Then run setup from c:\win98\setup.exe

This way setup was faster and later whenever Win98 needed Win98 CD for updating some component, it just copied files from c:\win98

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users