Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 and Firefox Google Redirect

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RJPaul

RJPaul

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hello,

I have this computer that received a good dose of Windows Security Suite back around the middle of July 2009. I did some troubleshooting and research and found that MalewareBytes is/was supposed to clean up the mess. I believe that it got a lot, or most, of the problem, but I have been plagued with a Google redirect issue ever since, from both IE8 and FF. The quick search tool bars that are built-in to Firefox and IE8 not longer recognize Google. If you try to use them, they usually will do one of two things; 1) send you to Gala.com or; 2) will not load any page at all. I also can not run the task manager or the "System Information" tool under "Start", "Accessories." The "System Restore" info prior to the Windows Security Suite invasion is lost/destroyed.

Today I did a search of the "IE8 and FF Google Redirect" and it led me to this thread on BleepingComputer.com: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241809/google-redirect/

This guy is experiencing nearly the exact issue that I am, at exactly the same date/time. So, I read the thread. It appears that you guys are going to be able to help. I did download ComboFix, and followed the tech's instructions in the above mentioned thread. I did nothing else after that, except join your web forum. I saved the log file.

I run MalwareBytes once or twice a week, and I have the free version of Avast! antivirus running at all times. Other than that nothing really special. Can you help me try to fix/remove whatever has hijacked Google? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Please do not post a Combofix log in this forum

Update mbam and run a FULL scan
Please post the results
--------------------------------

Then run ATF and SAS

ATF
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

------------------------------------

SAS,may take a long time to scan
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
----------------------------------------

Follow it up with a Dr Web scan

Please download Dr.Web CureIt, the free version & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RJPaul

RJPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your time on this. It took a fair amount of time to get all of the things you suggested, but your instructions were very well written and thorough. I performed all tasks exactly as you instructed. Unfortunately, nothing was found. I will post the logs that you requested, excluding the DrWeb log, because no log could be saved since it did not find any threats. Everything downloaded, installed, updated, and ran without issue. I am curious to hear what your thoughts are. Talk to you soon.

First is the MBAM log, followed by the SAS log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2570
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

8/6/2009 12:06:22 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-06 (12-06-22).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 127993
Time elapsed: 25 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/06/2009 at 01:20 PM

Application Version : 4.27.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 4041
Trace Rules Database Version: 1981

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:44:59

Memory items scanned : 204
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 3829
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 35958
File threats detected : 0

Thank You.... RJ

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Please download RootRepeal.zip and save it to your Desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Unzip the file on your Desktop or create a new folder on the hard drive called RootRepeal (C:\RootRepeal) and extract it there.
    (click here if you're not sure how to do this. Vista users refer to these instructions.)
  • Disconnect from the Internet as your system will be unprotected while using this tool.
  • Close all programs and temporarily disable your anti-virus, Firewall and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan.
    This will ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Click this link to see a list of such programs and how to disable them.
  • Open the RootRepeal folder and double-click on RootRepeal.exe to launch it. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator...
  • When the program opens, click the Report tab at the bottom, then click the Scan button.
  • In the Select Scan, dialog which asks What do you want to include in the scan?, check all the boxes.
    • Drivers
    • Files
    • Processes
    • SSDT
    • Stealth Objects
    • Hidden Services
    • Shadow SSDT
  • Click OK.
  • In the Select Drives, dialog Please select drives to scan: select all drives showing, then click OK.
  • The scan can take some time to finish. Do not use the computer while the scan is running.
  • When the scan has completed, a list of files will be generated in the RootRepeal window.
  • Click on the Save Report button and save it as rootrepeal.txt to your desktop.
  • A copy of the report with the date (i.e. RootRepeal report 07-30-09 (17-35-54).txt) is also saved to the root of your system drive (usually C:\).
  • Open rootrepeal.txt in Notepad and copy/paste its contents in your next reply.
  • Exit RootRepeal and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
Note: If RootRepeal cannot complete a scan and results in a crash report, try repeating the scan in "[color=blue]safe mode".
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 RJPaul

RJPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

Good Afternoon,

I downloaded RootRepeal from one of your listed alternative sites. Unzipped, created new folder on hard drive, disabled security, disabled internet, ran the scan, and saved the report as per you instructions. The RootRepeal log follows:

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
==================================================
Scan Start Time: 2009/08/07 12:50
Program Version: Version 1.3.3.0
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3

Drivers
-------------------
Name: dump_atapi.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_atapi.sys
Address: 0xEFC33000 Size: 98304 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: dump_WMILIB.SYS
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_WMILIB.SYS
Address: 0xF8A62000 Size: 8192 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: rootrepeal.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rootrepeal.sys
Address: 0xEEF03000 Size: 49152 File Visible: No Signed: -

SSDT
-------------------
#: 025 Function Name: NtClose
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b6b8

#: 041 Function Name: NtCreateKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b574

#: 065 Function Name: NtDeleteValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7ba52

#: 068 Function Name: NtDuplicateObject
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b14c

#: 119 Function Name: NtOpenKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b64e

#: 122 Function Name: NtOpenProcess
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b08c

#: 128 Function Name: NtOpenThread
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b0f0

#: 177 Function Name: NtQueryValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b76e

#: 204 Function Name: NtRestoreKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b72e

#: 247 Function Name: NtSetValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc7b8ae

==EOF==

Thank You,
RJ

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

You'd think we'd get something to surface

Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
Follow the Instruction here for installation.
Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Edited by garmanma, 07 August 2009 - 08:31 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 RJPaul

RJPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hi Mark,

Yeah you would think something would show up. Funny thing, I haven't done any new testing on Google to see if it is still redirecting from the links, nor have I tried using the built-in quick find tool bars so I don't have any new info about them, but the Task Manager and the "System Information" tool was running perfectly when I tested it on Friday.

I've been away for a couple of days. I will run the scan that you are suggesting sometime tomorrow and get back to you.

Thank You,
RJ

#8 RJPaul

RJPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hi Mark,

I ran the F-Secure online scanner. This actually found a few things. I don't know if they were really bad files or not?!?! The report follows:

Scanning Report
Monday, August 10, 2009 12:16:31 - 12:53:51

Computer name: DELL-OPTI
Scanning type: Scan system for malware, spyware and rootkits
Target: C:\
4 malware found
TrackingCookie.Advertising (spyware)

* System (Disinfected)

TrackingCookie.Atdmt (spyware)

* System (Disinfected)

TrackingCookie.Doubleclick (spyware)

* System (Disinfected)

TrackingCookie.Yieldmanager (spyware)

* System (Disinfected)

Statistics
Scanned:

* Files: 39230
* System: 2665
* Not scanned: 7

Actions:

* Disinfected: 4
* Renamed: 0
* Deleted: 0
* Not cleaned: 0
* Submitted: 0

Files not scanned:

* C:\PAGEFILE.SYS
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\DEFAULT
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM
* C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\MOUNTPOINTMANAGERREMOTEDATABASE

Options
Scanning engines:

Scanning options:

* Scan defined files: COM EXE SYS OV? BIN SCR DLL SHS HTM HTML HTT VBS JS INF VXD DO? XL? RTF CPL WIZ HTA PP? PWZ P?T MSO PIF . ACM ASP AX CNV CSC DRV INI MDB MPD MPP MPT OBD OBT OCX PCI TLB TSP WBK WBT WPC WSH VWP WML BOO HLP TD0 TT6 MSG ASD JSE VBE WSC CHM EML PRC SHB LNK WSF {* PDF ZL? XML XXX ANI AVB BAT CMD JOB LSP MAP MHT MIF PHP POT SWF WMF NWS TAR
* Use advanced heuristics

Thank You,
RJ

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Is it running any better?
Please try another scan with Root Repeal
Mark
Posted Image

#10 RJPaul

RJPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Good Afternoon,

Prior to running a new RootRepeal scan I manually entered www.google.com into the address bar and I got a very slow response and then a blank screen that said "done" at the bottom left corner of IE8. So, although the scans that you've had me run, thus far, have reactivated whatever service(s) that must have been turned off that wouldn't allow me to open the "System Information" tool or the Task Manager, the Google problem still exists. Here's another piece of info that might help you diagnose this problem. If I go to the upper right corner, just below the close button, of IE8 (where the quick search bar is located) and go to "Manage Search Providers" from the drop down box next to the magnifying glass there is only 2 providers listed. The Google option, which from what I have experienced is default, says "Not Available" in the "Search Suggestions" column. Don't know if that may be a clue, or not. The new RootRepeal report follows.

Thank You, RJ

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
Scan Start Time: 2009/08/12 18:28
Program Version: Version 1.3.3.0
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3

Drivers
-------------------
Name: dump_atapi.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_atapi.sys
Address: 0xEFC0F000 Size: 98304 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: dump_WMILIB.SYS
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_WMILIB.SYS
Address: 0xF8A6C000 Size: 8192 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: rootrepeal.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rootrepeal.sys
Address: 0xEF120000 Size: 49152 File Visible: No Signed: -

SSDT
-------------------
#: 025 Function Name: NtClose
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f6b8

#: 041 Function Name: NtCreateKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f574

#: 065 Function Name: NtDeleteValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2fa52

#: 068 Function Name: NtDuplicateObject
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f14c

#: 119 Function Name: NtOpenKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f64e

#: 122 Function Name: NtOpenProcess
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f08c

#: 128 Function Name: NtOpenThread
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f0f0

#: 177 Function Name: NtQueryValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f76e

#: 204 Function Name: NtRestoreKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f72e

#: 247 Function Name: NtSetValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS" at address 0xefc2f8ae

==EOF==

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

I believe it would be in your best interest to submit a HJT / DDS log

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users