Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mass Storage devices do not appear in My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 as15

as15

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

I am using Windows XP home.

When I plug mass storage devices into my USB ports, the icon to 'safely remove device' shows up but I cannot see the device in My Computer. I have tried this with a flash drive, ipod, and a Sandisk transfer device. They are shown in device manager and it says they are working properly. They are not shown in computer management though.

My USB ports work OK with my mouse and printer, just not with mass storage devices.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CnP Systems

CnP Systems

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

Have you tried 'refreshing' the My Computer screen? Also, sometimes restarting the computer with it still plugged in can help (can also lead the computer to say the OS is missing... If the latter, just pull it out and restart.) or you could go to Start - Run - type 'diskmgmt.msc' and then find the disk on either of the lists and right-click and choose Explore.
CnP

#3 as15

as15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Have you tried 'refreshing' the My Computer screen? Also, sometimes restarting the computer with it still plugged in can help (can also lead the computer to say the OS is missing... If the latter, just pull it out and restart.) or you could go to Start - Run - type 'diskmgmt.msc' and then find the disk on either of the lists and right-click and choose Explore.

They do not appear in disk management either. The only thing in disk management is the CD/DVD drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users