Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dot net framework

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

I have just changed to a new mobo and drive(s) and I wish to install Vista which I have already purchased.

Ultimately what I would like to do is be able to use some form of boot manager to be able to boot 1 of the three systems which I will install on different disk drives. Systems are Vista, Windows XP-pro, Ubuntu v9.04.

Friends have advised me to use VistaBootPro to manage the system boot instead of BIOS (which I don't think would work anyway). One friend this AM mentioned that I would need DOTNET FRAMEWORK ver 2 or 3 (guess that is .NetFramework ?).

First of all, is what I propose possible and easy to do?

Second, should I download and install .netframework immediately following Vista install of does this application have to be installed on both XP-pro and Vista?

Lastly, is there any tutorial on VistaBootPro? I read BC entry on the subject - well done!

Thanks you in advance for any and all information provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

EasyBCD is very user-friendly and freeware, requires Net Framework 2.0. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

You only need Net installed on the original system, which would be Vista in your case. This would also be true of VistaBootPro.

Installing each OS on different HDD's would be a headache, better to partition the Vista drive.

EasyBCD Wiki http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Easy...umentation+Home

VistaBootPro guides http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php/site...ocs_and_guides/

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Installing each OS on different HDD's would be a headache, better to partition the Vista drive.

Why? For all intents and purposes, a partition is a separate drive.....

#4 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the replies -- since we have one vote for partitions (certainly drive is big enough) and one vote for drive by drive I'm still not sure which way to go.

I did find out some interesting information in that once VistaBootPro is installed on a drive that it stays there EVEN IF THE DRIVE IS REFORMATTED. Somehow doesn't seem like the most friendly program in the world. But the hype is that it is better than BCDedit (whoope I meant EasyBCD) ... I just dunno! I will read the wiki again and the guides so kindly posted.

And I thought it was difficult a long time ago in a universe far far away TO LOAD THE OPERATING SYSTEM USING PAPER TAPE (both 5 and 7 level). I kind of remember one of my first, an Altair where switches had to be set as 1's or 0's --- ... and then we wrote tight code on systems with 4K and 3 or 4 registers.

Where did the time go? ... Sorry just ignore me ... just reminising.

Sorry for any mis-spellings I tried the spell checker and was sent to iespell dot com ... guess just something else to fix.

regards _ed_

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users