Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hardware Install (MB & CPU) on old XP Machine - boot failure.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Doc_Mike

Doc_Mike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Hello...I recently replaced the motherboard and CPU (ECS MB and Intel Dual Core 2.8 GHz E6300 processor) on my old homebrew XP machine (which was a 1.7 GHz Celeron, 32-bit platform) and now Windows XP will not boot, and I get the famous:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully...etc..."

And this is followed with cycling reboots - I can't even boot into safe mode.

In an attempt to narrow down the problem, I booted from my original MB and CPU (with the same HD) and am able to boot into Windows XP in normal mode. I have thought that this has something to do with my new motherboard's ability to boot an old ATA 133 hard drive in the proper mode (I have fiddled with the settings in BIOS), or the fact that XP doesn't recognize some of the ancillary chipsets in my new MB. But with my successful boot with my old setup, I don't think my HD is the problem.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

This often happens when you replace a motherboard with a different make/model because it drastically changes the ATA hardware (what your drives plug into) and XP doesn't like having its boot hardware changed.
This can be resolved fairly easily by repairing/reinstalling the boot device drivers by performing an XP Repair Installation.
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

I would just add that it would be wise uninstall all the current hardware drivers...before attempting the repair install...or they will remain in place and potentially be a source of pain.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users