Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevinrp2006

kevinrp2006

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:11 AM

iexplore appears three times in task manager. My computer shows little sign of any problems other than it can be slow to load up.

The Memory usage flutuates a little but i will show you what they are at present. I have just logged on to write this fault up.

Hope you can assist. Regards Kev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

What OS (Win 2K, XPsp1, XPsp2, Vista) are you using?
What version of IE are you using

If you do a Google search for multiple instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager, you will find numerous complaints with various causes and possible solutions. This problem could be malware or non-malware related. There are worms like W32/Lovgate-AD that will cause the same problem you are experiencing. In addition to other files it drops iexplore.exe in C:\Windows\system32. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file like iexplore.exe. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. The legitimate iexplore.exe is located in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. Make sure of the spelling. If it is iexplor.exe or iexplorer.exe, then it's malware. Also check to make sure iexplore.exe is not loading at startup as that too can be malware.

NOTE: If you are using Internet Explorer 8, it is my understanding that it it will run an extra instance of iexplorer.exe as part of the Automatic Crash Recovery feature. Internet Explorer8 will open a new process for the main window and another process with any opened tab. This feature allows Internet explorer to prevent itself from closing when a web site in one tab crashes. It has also been reported that this utilizes high memory resources.

Edited by quietman7, 05 August 2009 - 09:18 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 kevinrp2006

kevinrp2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Many Thanks for the reply and I am sorry about the delay in responding, I have been away.

I am on version 8 as you stated so I take it all is ok apart from it seems to use a great deal of my memory.

Your input was greatfully received and very helpful.

All the best and kind regards Kev

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016