Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! I can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dboy

dboy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:25 AM

I need help trying to connect to the internet. I have a desktop with Windows XP Home Edition operating system, and I am using a wired connection to the internet. I’m trying to connect only 1 computer to the internet and not setting up a shared network. I do, however, have a Linksys router which I am using and all the computers that are connected working fine, except for mines. My computer along with the other computers was working until few days ago, when I turned on my computer and I suddenly couldn’t connect to the internet. I have done the following troubleshooting using two methods both with different outcomes

1) connecting from my Linksys router to my computer
2) connecting directly to my computer (bypassing the Linksys router) from the Internet Service Provider modem to my computer

Using a connection from a Linksys router:
1. Connected my internet wire to another computer, while connected to a Linksys router I have a great internet connection.
2. In “command prompt” I did the following:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- ping my “ip address” returned with a “reply”
- ping my “subnet mask” returned with a “destination specified is invalid”
- ping my “default gateway” returned with “requested timed out”
- ipconfig /all
• ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway matches with each other when typing “ipconfig” ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway
3. “Local Area Network (LAN) Settings” is set to “Automatically detect settings” (only this is checked in the dialogue box) and the “proxy server” is unchecked
4. In the “Internet Properties” box, under the “Connections” tab “never dial a connection” is circled
5. In “device manager,” under “Network adapters” my internet card has no yellow exclamation marks or any marks
1. Selecting my network card shows “this device is working properly”
6. In the “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties” show
1. “Obtain an IP address automatically” is circled
2. “Obtain DNS server address automatically” is circled
7. “Work offline” is unchecked in the “File” heading of my Web browser
8. Called my internet service provider and they said everything is working fine on their side
9. Lastly, I reinstalled my operating system but no internet connection still

Connecting directly to my Internet Service Provider modem (bypassing the Linksys router) to have a direct connection from my modem to my computer
In “command prompt” I did the following:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew stated the following
• “An error ocurrred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 2: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.”
- ipconfig provided (No Default Gateway was given)
* “Autoconfiguration IP address”
* “Subnet mask”
* No Default Gateway was given
- ping my “ip address” returned with a “reply”
- ping my “subnet mask” returned with a “destination specified is invalid”
- did not ping my “default gateway” since none was given when using ipconfig in command prompt.
All settings are the same as “Using a connection from a Linksys router” listed above

Can this be a hardware (motherboard, Ethernet card even though my computer is stating this card “the device is working properly?”) my Ethernet card is embedded onto my motherboard or can it be a software problem.

Edited by dboy, 05 August 2009 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

If I understand what you are trying to do. You have one PC, we`ll call it #1, already hooked up to the Internet and has Internet access. Is the #1 PC running XP as well?. You have then hooked-up a second PC, #2, to the first PC. You used cat5 ethernet cable(?). One thing is, you may need a "cross-over" cable depending on the type of network cards. If they are auto-negotiating then a standard cat5 will do.

What in effect you are trying to do is run ICS = Internet Connection Sharing. This has to be enabled on the #1 PC which already has the Internet connection.

Edited by ThunderZ, 05 August 2009 - 08:03 AM.

#3 dboy

dboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

No, I just want a connection to the internet. I'm not trying to have a connection between two computers to share internet connection. Only one computer. I have a Linksys router which I use to split the internet between computers, however, my computer has no connection. Even though, I bypass the router and connect directly to my computer from my ISP box they provided. Could it be a hardware (motherboard, ethernet card "its embedded") or a software problems. I need help please.

My internet connection was working fine while using Linksys router for months joining two computers. Now, my personal computer does not work. I turned it on and now no connection. However, the 2nd computer is still connected to the Linksys router with a great internet connection.

Therefore, I trying to solve my computer (call it computer 1) disregarding computer 2 (it's working fine)

Edited by dboy, 05 August 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Now I understand.

The problem could be either a hardware or software issue.

Even with PC 1 plugged directly into the ISP provided modem you have no connection?

So the only change you have made is unplugging PC 1 from the router and plugged it directly into the above modem?

Is that when the problem first started or is that something you tried to fix the problem?

You have not installed any new software?

The PC is not acting odd, slow?

#5 dboy

dboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

I revised my problem above hopefully providing a better understanding to my problem.

My computer was working perfectly fine connected to the Linksys router. Then, a week ago, I started surfing the web and suddenly no connection. I did the above troubleshooting still with no connection. I reinstalled my OS and everything is working fine except my internet connection. Also, before reinstalling my OS everything was working fine except the internet. However, I was frustrated and reinstalled my OS. In "device manager," my network card has no errors and selecting the properties tab shows "the device is working." My network card is embedded onto my motherboard

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

Two things to try.

In device manager, the properties of the network card. Go to the power management tab. Remove the check mark from allow the computer to turn this device off.

If you are running a firewall, temporarily disqable it.

Does either of these changes make a difference?

Have you tried running the Network set-up wizard?

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

Can you post what it shows when you type ipconfig /all ?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users