Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd reload prolem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

I got a message during boot up a couple of days ago saying I had a corrupt file in C:documents and settings, it is on my old 733 Dell. I was going to do a sys restore only to find it was not turned on, well that left e trying to do a repair with the Dell recovery disk. Much to my surprise I could not get past an applet saying the version of Windows on the machine was newer then the CD, strange that is what was used to load it and it ran on it for quite a few years. It is my backup machine and seems to run just fine except for the corrupt file message, I have done MBAM, Superantispyware both on full scan and also a full scan with KIS it appears to be just fine. How do I get around the newer version thing?

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

To do a repair of XP, using an XP install CD (note that I don't say Dell recovery CD)...the files on the CD must match the SP-level of the system. If the system reflects SP3, the CD must contain SP3 files. If the system reflects SP2, the CD must contain at least SP2 files.

It's been that way for years now.

Dell is the expert on its recovery disks, you'd have to check their website or their personnel to find out how they work.

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Louis that has to be the reason, it was loaded with the Dell disk is SP2 I have since down loaded SP3. I wonder if I can remove 3 fix what needs to be fixed then reload 3 or should I just scrub it.

Phil

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Your idea would work, I think...but you would be in the same situation the next time that you needed to either run sfc /scannow or attempt a repair install.

What I would do would be to try to create a slipstreamed CD, using nLite, that includes the files currently on that CD but adds the SP3 install files. That ought to solve the situation.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

SP3 is available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en

nLite - Deployment Tool for Unattended Windows - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

Louis

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Louis! I am going away for two weeks will do what you say when I get back!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users