Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers for a HP Pavilion 774y

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 milz45

milz45

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hello, I recently had a bout with Virut. Had to totally reformat, etc. The computer is pretty old, so the HP recovery disks only installed Windows XP service pack 1. I'm going to update to SP2, then to SP3. I was hoping someone could help me make sure I have all the correct drivers I'll need. Btw, I've been advised not to connect to the internet until I've completely installed XP and a good AV software, so that means I'll have to install drives to a disk from a clean computer and then move them via jump drive or cd. Here's the specs on my machine, if there's anything else that's needed please let me know ... and THANK YOU!

HP Pavilion 774y
WinXP Home Edition, SP1
Intel Pentium 4, 2.40GHz
512 MB or RAM
ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card
120 internal HD, Seagate ST3120026A 8mb
Sony CRX320EBK DVD 16x + CD-RW Combo Drive
Sony DWQ28A SW DVD+/-RW 16x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

<>

You can just install SP3, which includes SP2...as long as you have SP1 installed. The suggestion that SP2 be installed before installing SP3...I've never understood but I suspect it was made when SP3 first became available by some who were nervous about possible hiccups.

I've installed it directly to a system with SP1, with no problems, as have many others.

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

<>

The installation of an AV program...is less important than utilizing a firewall. IMO, the most important thing a user has to do before anything else when doing a clean install...is get ALL critical updates which have been issued since whatever SP came out. That includes SP3, there are several critical updates which have been issued since SP3 was released. Failure to install these before anything else...leaves the system open to known vulnerabilities that may not be protected by any software.

The XP firewall will be employed automatically after SP3 is installed.

The proper sequence of security measures should be...updates, firewall, AV...drivers. Personally, I always have my network working when doing installs because sometimes XP will require updated files from the Microsoft website...but you make your own decision.

<<...so that means I'll have to install drives to a disk from a clean computer and then move them via jump drive or cd...>>

Just download/burn the drivers to CD...and you can install them anytime you want.

You can also download SP3 and burn it to CD...or you could create a slipstreamed CD that includes SP3 (what I would do) and install everything (XP, SP1, SP2, SP3) at once. You would still have to update XP for any critical updates since SP3 and then you could install your drivers from your CD.

You don't have to use Windows Update to install SP3. In fact, it's better (IMO) if you don't use it and download SP3 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en . This would also make it easier to create a slipstreamed XP CD, which can be used to repair your install later or reinstall XP later (with no problems).

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Your drivers can be found by clicking on the appropriate link at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodTop...;cc=us&dlc=, I see five systems listed with the data you provided. You need to pick the correct one.

My suggestion would be to download all drivers which relate to your particular system and burn them to CD, whether you think you'll need/use them or not.

There is no set way of going from where you are...to where you want to be. You have options :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users