Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Heuristic Detection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rsa101

rsa101

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

I have a Comodo Firewall and AV Free Edition installed in my PC as well as installed Avira AV Free. Recently, Comodo has been detecting certain files from Avira (extension is av$) as suspected files and place it in Quarantine folder. I have submitted this to Comodo for them to look at.

Should I be worried about it or is it just something that is incompatoble between the two softwares.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

You should never have two anti-virus applications installed at the same time as they can fight against each other and actually leave you less protected.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

You should never have two anti-virus applications installed at the same time as they can fight against each other and actually leave you less protected.

Which one shoud I give up then. I like Comodo Firewall. Should I used that one instead than using the AV firewall product they offer?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

I don't think it really matters which one you use. They are both good anti-virus applications in my opinion.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

I don't think it really matters which one you use. They are both good anti-virus applications in my opinion.

That is why I am getting hard time getting one of them go. I can see that both have their advantages and disadvanages. Should a Comodo Firewall be a good combination with Avira. I am planning of disabling the Comodo AV and use its Firewall only. Do you think that would help?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

Yes, if you want to keep Avira Antivirus you should disable Comodo Antivirus.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Yes, if you want to keep Avira Antivirus you should disable Comodo Antivirus.

Thanks I just did that. I would just ignore what Comodo AV detected and quarantined then. Thanks you very much!

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

Yeah - you can ignore it. It was almost certainly a "false positive".

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

Recently, Comodo has been detecting certain files from Avira (extension is av$) as suspected files and place it in Quarantine folder.

If Comodo has Quarantined files belonging to Avira, then Avira may no longer be functioning properly. You need to restore those Avira files from Comodo's Quarantine.

Personally, I would uninstall Comodo's AV altogether and reinstall Avira again just to be sure.

:thumbsup:

#10 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

Recently, Comodo has been detecting certain files from Avira (extension is av$) as suspected files and place it in Quarantine folder.

If Comodo has Quarantined files belonging to Avira, then Avira may no longer be functioning properly. You need to restore those Avira files from Comodo's Quarantine.

Personally, I would uninstall Comodo's AV altogether and reinstall Avira again just to be sure.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice I checked the suspected files and they are still in the folder they should be. I think comod did not move any of the files. AVIRA is working good for me since I checked and ran it and I don't see anything wrong with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users