Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which antivirus shall I get?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: What Antivirus Should I switch to? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Antivirus should I switch to?

1. AVG (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Avira (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

3. Other (A free one I haven't thought of, please specify in post) (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

I've been looking around for a new AV, and I was thinking Avira. However, AVG is also free, and much more thorough from Youtube videos I've seen than my current AV ( Avast Free Home Edition). However, It doesn't protect against rootkits of any type if you don't purchase something. Plus it has the CPU usage up to nearly 90 percent, from what I've heard. I've also heard Avira is pretty good and doesn't take nearly as much CPU usage. I was thinking I should get AVG Free 8.5 with my current Ad-Aware, Or, should I get something that can essentially wipe out every infection know to man, like SAS coupled with MBAM? Your thoughts, everyone?

Sincerely,

ComputerNutjob

P. S. Dont try to get me to get a paid one. Those things may be great, like Norton or F-Secure, But they are EXPENSIVE!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Personally I think AVG, Avast and Avira are all about equal and are all good.

It is important to remember that no protection (freeware or paid for) is 100% effective. A lot depends on how you use your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

I knew someone would say that, and honestly, after reading peoples stories of infections on here, I'd say they're about average computer users like me. Either someone accidentally downloaded some BAD stuff onto the computer, or, they got deceived. Although unlike some computer users, I'm more security conscious. I have firefox with Adblock Plus and Web of Trust add-ons and I'm constantly trying to find ways to make myself more and more secure. I'm leaning towards avira but then again AVG seems more thorough

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 08 October 2009 - 03:27 PM.
Mod edit: removed profanity - AA

#4 rsa101

rsa101

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

I am currently using the avira before I was also using the AVG and Avast AV but a friend of mine recommended to use Avira because of how they use CPU resources and very recently they were able to detect many Virus which was unknown to both AV and Avast. Avira GUI is not that much as compared to the two free AVs too which makes it lighter to load.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

You can also use the NoScript add-on for Firefox for added protection.

http://noscript.net/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Budapest. I just downloaded it. Now if I go to youareanidiot .org I won't be infected, since it uses javascript

#7 SobiMask

SobiMask

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

I think it would be Ok if you continue using Avast! You can switch to using Avira if you don't mind the pop-ups when you update. I used to use AVG but over the last few years I think that it has gotten worse and worse. Avira has the best detection rates out of the three but certainly have more false positives.

"Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them."
Aristotle

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

You will never get agreement on this subject as it is a personal thing, but FWIW I use AVAST on all my machines (98SE, XP Pro, Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, and Win7) and have no reason to change. It just does everything I expect an AV to do without any hassle.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

Well, I think I might try AVG Free, But one other question, does SAS and MBAM Protect and Remove, or just remove? I KNOW they remove, I read the Am I Infected forum a lot. They do a REALLY good job, but do they, say, stop bad downloads, stop things from infecting, and all that? Then I would be switching immediately.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

The freeware versions only remove. If you want real-time protection you need to get the paid-for versions.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Well, thanks for all your help, Budapest, but I'm just gonna try AVG. If I don't like it, then I'll try Avira. And if I don't like that, then I'll just stick with avast.

#12 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

I've reveiwed the download sites and stuff, and honestly, I'll just stick with avast. Anyone is still free to try and find me another free one, if they want. Maybe if I like that one I will switch. For now though, I'm sticking with Avast.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

Comodo is pretty good and it's free.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

I thought Comodo was a firewall?

#15 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

Features overview
Anti-spyware built-in Web Shield
Anti-rootkit built-in Automatic updates
Strong self-protection Virus Chest
Antivirus kernel System integration
Simple User Interface Integrated Virus Cleaner
Resident protection Support for 64-bit Windows
P2P and IM Shields Internationalization
Network Shield

These are the features that come in Avast Home Free it includes a few that you said were not included. But since your sticking with Avast that part of my post is beside the point. You mentioned SAS and MBAM, do you use them? A good firewall would help and there are many good free ones; Outpost Free, Online Armor and the mentioned Comodo.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users