1. The Browser is Hijacked for Sure (ex. search for Hamburger at Google, search results display). Upon clicking a link and the search results, you are redirected to some bogus search site, or some random shopping thing, Woman's Day Magazine or some such thing. The redirect is SLOW, if you click Back in your browser it will stop it, at which point you can re-click the link and you'll go where you wanted to be.
2. When I was first infected the computer would all of a sudden at random, no windows open or nothing, just start playing sounds, was never really able to tell what they were, but it sounded to be parts of TV shows, Commercials, or maybe Radio Ads. I could track this down in Task Manager > Processes, and stop this (In Task Manager, to the best of my memory, these always seemed to be a.exe, b.exe, c.exe, etc), eventually it went away completely for the most part, though the comp still makes random clicks and such, as if web pages were being opened, though I'm not using the internet at all of those times.
3. Tells me via pop-up periodically that my comp is currently being run in Unsafe Mode (There's at least 1 typo in this pop-up, and it's Publisher is Microsoft Windows, not Microsoft Corporation, so I have never allowed the install it wants to run)
4. Performance is getting increasingly worse, locking up, strange lag spiking, freezing on reboot
5. Tells me my Wireless connection is Acquiring Network Address (it's connected obviously)
What I've Tried so Far - And Associated Results
1. ESET NOD32 - Runs, says Operating Memory Win32/Rootkit.Agent.ODG Trojan unable to clean
i. I did try to run ESET NOD32 in Safe Mode (had to force Safe Mode with BOOT.INI in msconfig lol, F8, Tab, Esc, nothing would give me the option of how to start, only choose boot device), it ran, though I can't really tell what if anything it did - None of the others will even run.
2. HiJack This - Downloaded, Won't Launch
3. MalWare Bytes - Downloaded, Won't Launch, also triggers the Windows Explorer has experienced and unexpected error and must close, and DrWatson's Postmortem Debugger Windows
4. RootRepeal - Causes BSOD on scan everytime, additionally when I launch the program I have to clear 5 or so warning messages about not being able to access Boot Sector, change something in Options
5. Super Anti-Spyware - Downloaded, Won't Launch
I really don't know what to do, I'm in school, I don't trust using my Thumb-drives, I don't even have the Windows XP Pro CD any more, maybe can afford new ones. Additionally, I'm sure I need some sort of files on a Floppy if I'm going to even let the hard drive know it's a hard drive after formatting and trying to reinstall Windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know how to get in the registry, but I don't know what I'd be looking for, nor can I get anything to run that might tell me, it's very frustrating.
Edited by BLM73, 04 August 2009 - 06:54 PM.