Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag hangs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adabar

adabar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:46 AM

When I run either Diskkeeper Lite or windows own defragger (I'm running XP home on a Toshiba laptop) the defragger hangs for ages. It will always get to the same point (10% complete for diskeeper and 35% for the Windows one) and then sit for about 15 - 30 minutes. Taskmanager shows that CPU is not being used by the defragger. Sometimes the "program not responding" message comes up and sometimes the process manages to finish.

I have deinstalled and reinstalled diskkeeper. I run the same version on my desktop without problems and it runs really fast.

Any thoughts? Could there be a problem on the hard disk?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gawwise

gawwise

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 03:08 AM

when defrag hangs up. does it state restart or contents changed?
try turning off virus scans and screen savers. sometimes the virus scan takes over to check for viruses on moving files, ( bogging down and locking defraging)

it might work for you, do a scandisk to check drive c
start, my computer, drive c: (right click and go to properties)
then on top tabs to tools

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

NTFS4Dos I'd try running the chkdsk and defrag utility on this floppy and see what happens.

Plus before you run this just run your hdd manufacturers diagnostic utility on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users