Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 98

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 insane_asylum

insane_asylum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:08 AM

well...my son was going to add something to my computer to make it faster and found out that it wouldnt work...so he put the top case back on and tried to hook it back up and now it wont even go to the start menu...there's a floppy disc and a regular cd outlet and i was wanting to know how you get the regualr cd thing to recognize my windows 98 cd...because it says enter disc and hit enter, but when i do it just makes a noise and tell's me to do the same thing again...any suggestions would be helpfull..ty :thumbsup:
InS@Ne_@sYLuM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:34 AM

I guess you are trying to re-install windows - right? To do that your system needs to able to read from the CD drive before Windows is installed - it can't do that without first booting from a special floppy disk called a Windows 98 Startup Disk (also called a boot disk). This boots the PC into DOS and loads a DOS cd-rom driver to allow the PC to 'see' the Windows 98 setup CD. You might have already made a boot floppy when Windows working, but if you haven't got one you can download one from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Download "Windows 98 OEM" boot disk. Create the floppy.
Boot from floppy and choose "Start computer with CD-ROM support", then press 'enter'. Put the 98 CD in the drive, and at the prompt, change to the letter used by the cd-drive (it will be 'E:' or 'F:' depending on how many hard disks are fitted).
Then type SETUP and press enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users