Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running File & settings Transfer Wizard unattended

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dpdawes

dpdawes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

I am trying to find a way to run FASTWIZ.EXE unattended. I am going to call it from either MS-DOS in a batch file or in a VBScript. I need to throw a couple of <Enter>s, <Tab>s, and a UNC path to it.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that. I can launch the files using either language, but when I try to send keystrokes to it, they go to Windows instead.

Does anyone know if FASTWIZ can use an answer file, has switches, or something similar?

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

First of all, File and Settings Transfer Wizard runs migwiz.exe and not fastwiz.exe in Windows XP. Just to clarify.
Second, it can not be used from command line (supplying any options), or automatically.

But Windows XP users who want to run automated settings transfer from one to another computer can use Windows User State Migration Tool called USMT in short. You need to download it link given below. Choose 32bit or 64 bit version according to your version of Windows.

Once installed, it would copy files in C:\USMT\bin by default. You will have scanstate.exe and loadstate.exe. scanstate.exe is used to save settings of one or more users to a specified folder and loadstate.exe is used to migrate these settings of one or more users to specified destination.

Download USMT 3.0:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Information and command line syntax of USMT:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

Edited by Romeo29, 04 August 2009 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users