Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Questions On a soundcard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gonefishin

gonefishin

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

I think my soundcard has had it. Want to replace it. But to be quite honest . Im kinda confused have a few easy questions for you guys about soundcards. I was looking at soundcards and I noticed some said for 98/2000 or xp or vista or what not. Is that all their is to it ? I can buy any sound card for my windows xp .....

as long as it says its for xp ?

Or is it like only certain soundcards will work and must match with my computer model number etc ????? just asking for some simple advise

also any advice on good soundcards or brands to stay away from would be of big help

thanks

Edited by gonefishin, 04 August 2009 - 12:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

Generally speaking...any soundcard will work in a system.

Even those which say 98/2000 will often (not always) work in XP, if the user installs the Win 2K drivers.

It usually boils down (like so many things) to user preference. Onboard sound fills the needs of many users (like me) but it pays to have a sound card around just in case things go wrong.

Manufacturer of system and model? If custom-built, motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

The "Windows 98,2000,XP ,Vista,etc," means drivers are available for the indicated operating system.

On a sound card what kind of speaker system you have will be a factor in what sound card you need.
If you have a typical 2 speaker setup & just use the unit for occassional music you really don't need a sound card for "7.1 surrond sound"

Are you just wanting a better sound card or are you actually having a problem with the one you have ?

What is the problem ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 gonefishin

gonefishin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:27 AM

When a first bought my computer about 3 years ago . First day i hooked it up . A strange sound would start a humming sound. from the computer . then the sound would go dead have to turn computer off usually 2 time's to get sound back. has gotten worse over the years. can not record with a microphone at all. all I hear is that awful loud humming sound. have tried 3 mics. so i know its the computer. figure maybe its a defective sound card . I figure I got a lemon of a computer . Had to replace the cd dvd burner in it before .......it went out within the first year even though I rarely used it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users