Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering windows 7 to a new system?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

Im considering the Windows family 3 pack to upgrade our three family pc's. Two of them run xp and one runs vista premium. My question is this: I plan on eventually building two new systems to replace the ones currently running xp (they are obviously older). Would I be able to transfer those windows 7 licenses to the two newly built pc's and revert the older systems back to xp assuming I have valid media and keys?
Resistance is futile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Im considering the Windows family 3 pack to upgrade our three family pc's. Two of them run xp and one runs vista premium. My question is this: I plan on eventually building two new systems to replace the ones currently running xp (they are obviously older). Would I be able to transfer those windows 7 licenses to the two newly built pc's and revert the older systems back to xp assuming I have valid media and keys?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/913...nytime_Upgrades

#3 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

Am I limited to installing my Family Pack upgrades on just three PCs? You are limited to running the Famly Pack upgrades on three PCs at the same time. But as long as you uninstall or de-commission your Home Premium upgrade license on a PC first, you can re-install it on a different PC.

So I can upgrade any pc I want with the same license long as it has an existing oem install and I uninstall the upgrade from the prior pc. That of course would NOT work on a new build since it has no pre-existing oem install. Technically, If I have an old retail copy of xp that is no longer being used, I could install it on the new build and then use the win7 upgrade license provided it was no longer in use elsewhere right?

Thanks for the answers:)
Resistance is futile.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Unless there has been a big reversal of attitude at Microsoft regarding licensing...I think I'd wait until I see a new EULA for Windows 7...before I drew any conclusions about installing, moving installs, etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/eula.aspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users