Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard drive installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hakrim

Hakrim

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

So HP sent me a new hard drive since the other one crashed or something and now I'm trying to install it. I unscrewed the drive guard, popped out the old one, put the new one in, put the drive guard back on, and turned on my laptop. Then all that happens is an error message that reads "non-system disk error Please strike any key when ready." Striking any key does nothing.

So what does that mean? Does it mean the new one isn't installed properly or could there be something else wrong with my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

"Non-system disk" tells you that there is no O/S on the hard drive and that the boot order in the BIOS is set to boot from the hard drive.

Change the boot order to boot from an optical drive and...install the O/S on the new drive.

By chance...did HP send you any instructions for installing a new replacement hard drive?

Louis

#3 Hakrim

Hakrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

Nope, no instructions. Just the hard drive and some instructions on returning the original part.

Do you think you could explain how to change the boot order? I've never done anything like that before.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

"Non-system disk" tells you that there is no O/S on the hard drive and that the boot order in the BIOS is set to boot from the hard drive.

Change the boot order to boot from an optical drive and...install the O/S on the new drive.

By chance...did HP send you any instructions for installing a new replacement hard drive?

Louis

If Hakrim originally bought the PC and it was set up with a restore partition as opposed to him being given restore CDs the the new hard drive he was shipped should have come with pre-installed OS and what ever else HP bundles as far as software.

Hakrim, were any CDs included with the lap top when you first purchased it?

#5 Hakrim

Hakrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

Louis

If Hakrim originally bought the PC and it was set up with a restore partition as opposed to him being given restore CDs the the new hard drive he was shipped should have come with pre-installed OS and what ever else HP bundles as far as software.

Hakrim, were any CDs included with the lap top when you first purchased it?

Yes, it came with the Operating System Cd, Application and Driver Recovery DVD, Operating System DVD, and some supplemental software disk which I think includes office 07

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

What's your HP system model (e.g., Presario 235)?

Louis

#7 Hakrim

Hakrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

What's your HP system model (e.g., Presario 235)?

Louis

The sticker on the bottom says 'Compaq 6735s'

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/s...4/c01581834.pdf

Number 2, Using Computer Setup...tells you how to access the BIOS and change any settings. Be sure to save any changes you make by following the directions given by HP.

You need to find out which is the appropriate disk for installing.

I would guess...strictly a guess...that the CD is for XP, the DVD for Vista. I don't see anything that tells me that, but I know that Vista is too large to be installed from CD and XP is too small to put on a DVD.

In any case, you can try one or the other and abort the install if it is not what you want.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users