Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wont power up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tybee3

tybee3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

I'm fairly adept at building and upgrading computers but don't know much about diagnostics. My situation:

I'm upgrading my computer and at the same time moving my old board (mb, cpu, ps, and video card) to my wife's (even older) computer. My problem occurred while putting my old board into my wife's computer. I've done this probably a dozen times plus I built both computers. This time after the install I powered up just to see the cpu and video card fans spin for a couple of seconds and then quit. It would not react to a second push of the "ON" button unless I first removed and reapplied power to the unit and then it just repeats the momentary on scenario.

Abit AX78
Diamond HD3870 DDR4
AMD 64 X2 5200
G.Skill 2 x 1GB DDR2
Thermaltake TR2-430W

The legacy components include:
WD 1600
2 DVD RW drives of unk mfgr
1 floppy drive

The motherboard and all its components and ps were working fine when I pulled them from my computer. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

I know it's basic...but check all connections before moving on :thumbsup:.

I would also try her original PSU with the new board.

Louis

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

I had this happen to me with a new board once. Turns out that the board was shorting out on the metal of the case. Make sure that the board isn't coming into direct contact with the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users