Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this laptop better than a desktop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 munchmann32

munchmann32

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:06 AM

Ok, I was planning on building my own desktop with a $800 budget, and then buying a cheap crappy laptop next year when I go to college.

So I walk into BestBuy today just to look around because I love that store, and see an awesome looking gaming laptop made by Asus. Here's the link for it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...customerreviews
So the point of all this, instead of spending $800 for a desktop then maybe $300 in a year for a laptop, would it be a better idea to get this laptop that I posted above?

And also is it a good deal in the 1st place? I read some of the reviews and everyone liked it, and the lady at BestBuy suggested it. So is it worth the money?

I also found this one for around the same price. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...customerreviews

Edited by munchmann32, 04 August 2009 - 01:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

My answer to your topic title: No laptop is better than a desktop, there's no comparison in terms of features, upgrades, modifications, and repair/replacement of damaged parts.

The mobility of a laptop makes it a viable option for many users in today's society...especially the employed who travel and students...but I think it's a bit naive to believe these advertisements that advertise laptops as "desktop replacements."

Louis

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

In terms of a laptop compared to a desktop in computing power? No contest, the desktop will beat it out. Graphics cards, processors, and RAM is faster for much cheaper in a desktop.

Go for a desktop and then a cheap netbook laptop next year.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

Desktops will always win in performance against laptops. With a laptop, you pay more and sacrifice performance in exchange for mobility. In college, a desktop will be more of a hassle in getting it to the campus since you need a monitor, the tower, speakers, etc. but once it is all set up, it will work better. You may get lucky and the Office of Housing will let you keep the same room every year, but if it is anything like the one at my university, you change rooms every academic year and thus have to move it in during the fall and move it out when summer starts. I never had a need to bring a laptop to class when I had one and was worried about my roommate (or his crazy friends) damaging or destorying the thing. That's why I got a desktop PC and made sure it was durable enough to handle abuse. Building your own desktop PC is the better idea since $800 will go far in terms of performance.

3939.png

#5 munchmann32

munchmann32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Thanks guys for your comments. I've decided I'm going to just get a laptop, and hope my parents or someone will chip in for a new desktop as a graduation present. :blink:

But anyways. I found this laptop, and I think it may be a better deal than the BestBuy laptop for $1K. Can anyone check it out and see if it's worth the money?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=3444

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

That's a good laptop. There are other choices.

HP Pavilion dv6-1268nr NoteBook AMD Turion X2 - This is a bit more and has roughly the same specifications, but has a better graphics card.
SONY VAIO NW Series VGN-NW130J/S - I've only ever owned Vaio laptops. This also has a better graphics card and a good webcam.
SONY VAIO FW Series VGN-FW450J/B - If you really want to push your budget up to the 1K limit, this is a good laptop too. It has pretty much the same specs as the other Vaio, but has a larger screen with Blu-Ray built in.

3939.png

#7 munchmann32

munchmann32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

Dj,the last one you posted eh. After looking at my bank account I don't want to spend 1k on a laptop. So out of the other 2 choices you posted and the one from tiger that I posted, which would you say is the best one.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Specs wise, they are both almost the same. The HP has a slightly better graphics card but the laptop has been known to have heat issues. If you get the HP, it is suggested you also buy a laptop cooler. The Vaio runs cooler and should have better battery life. I totally understand not wanting the Blu-Ray Vaio, it is expensive but it is nice to see a BD drive in a solid sub-1K notebook.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users