Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get Computer Running Like New?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:58 PM

Everyone knows how fast and wonderful their computer is after a fresh installation of Windows XP. Is it possible to get your computer running close to that "newness".

Spyware Scanners, Virus Scanners, Disk Defragmentation, Registry Scanners and Defragmentation, Duplicate file searches, Invalid shortcuts, cleaning out alot of the HD, cleaning the web browsers....??

I ask the question because I would like to be able to help people optomize their computers to the way they were out of the box without a system restore or a complete reformat. Using those ways and others(please list them) would it be possible to get that "new" computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

I reccomend one application

bleep cleaner

This will go throughout your system and delete any invalid files that are wasting space.
Known to clean out 2 gigs sometimes when its first ran.

It also searched for invalid registry keys.

#3 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:12 AM

Alas one program can never get the job done. I used easy cleaner earlier for my registry and it found a lot but CCleaner found a lot more. Thanks for the rec.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:24 AM

I do indeed agree with you, itd be nice it was true tho :thumbsup:

You also run disk defragmenter:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter

It will open up a list of your drives. hughtlight C:\ by clkicking on it, then click defragment on the bottom. It usaully takes a few hours. so do it overnight. Also have you downloaded and run a reputable antivirus plus a spyware/malware scanning application?

Also click start, click run, and type cleanmgr in the box that pops up. make it clean C:\
Itll scan for files, then ask you what to clean. Check all the boxes and then click ok. Itll really clean up your drives.

Edited by Techsomething, 14 July 2005 - 12:25 AM.

#5 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:46 AM

I do indeed agree with you, itd be nice it was true tho :thumbsup:

You also run disk defragmenter:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter

It will open up a list of your drives. hughtlight C:\ by clkicking on it, then click defragment on the bottom. It usaully takes a few hours. so do it overnight. Also have you downloaded and run a reputable antivirus plus a spyware/malware scanning application?

Also click start, click run, and type cleanmgr in the box that pops up. make it clean C:\
Itll scan for files, then ask you what to clean. Check all the boxes and then click ok. Itll really clean up your drives.

Yes I have several different Spyware apps. Webroot SpySweeper, Ad-Aware SE, Spy Doctor, Microsoft Spyware Beta. As mentioned before one never gets it done lol. I also have Norton System Works which runs really well and checks my system while I'm sleeping then gives me the report in the Morning. I do need to defrag my computer. I was thinking of trying a program called PerfectDisk(ain't free which sucks). In my family's house we have about 7 Dell computers ranging from 10 years of age to 1. My computer always has zero problems and runs the fastest out of anyones. I only browse with Firefox, IE is the devil honestly. The rest of my family just doesn't get why they shouldn't use IE even after I plead with them.

#6 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:47 AM

I dont reccomend using a 3rd party application to defrag, its ultimately useless it doesnt defrag "better" than the windows one it jsust comes with the options of scheduling a defrag.

#7 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

I just read about it and I guess the feature they're throwing out is that it has a Network Feature and of course it has the scheduling lol.

#8 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:57 AM

I dont reccomend using a 3rd party application to defrag, its ultimately useless it doesnt defrag "better" than the windows one it jsust comes with the options of scheduling a defrag.

I fully disagree as the Defrag that seems to run the best that I have ever seen is one called "O&O Defrag" It's not free but it is great. You can read about it here --
http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html

#9 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:10 AM

Why in the world would you waste money on an application that does the same exact thing as the windows built in defragmenter?

#10 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

Why in the world would you waste money on an application that does the same exact thing as the windows built in defragmenter?

Ah but see that is where your wrong it doesn't do the exact same thing that the built in windows does. It really defrags the harddrive! :thumbsup:

#11 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

Trust me ive done some deep research into this, the only features these progras offer that differ from the windows application, is that you can shdeule a defrag every 5 minutes if you want.

From diskeeper, one of the top automatic disk defragger

"Daily defragmentation is the only way to obtain full-throttle performance from workstations and servers. You can run yourself ragged manually defragmenting every workstation, desktop, laptop and server on a regular basis—or you can have the problem taken care of automatically with NEW Diskeeper 9, the Number One Automatic Defragmenter."

It mentions daily defragmentation, and automatic defragmentation because they both do the same thing. The only difference is you have to run the windows application every day if you want what they give you for 49.99 id choose windows any day.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

Disk Defragmenter
You can also automatically defragment your hard disk, although it doesn't need to be done as frequently as cleaning up your hard disk. Open Scheduled Tasks, and double–click Add Scheduled Tasks to start the Scheduled Task Wizard. When you get to the list of applications, click Browse, and navigate to windows\system32\defrag.exe, and click Open.

Maintaining Your Windows XP-based PC
Posted Image

#13 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

Well Chuck,you seem to have asked a rhetorical question to which you already
have all the answers.My short answer is No,there is no way to restore an o/s
to as new" out of the box" condition without a F-disk, format/reinstall.A shortcut
is usually the longest distance between two points in IT,and even 'workarounds'
are temporary patch ups.And I disagree,there are third party apps which are
much improved & independant of Windows.Power Defrag,Max Mem,Firefox,Opera
and just about any anti spyware is better than microsofts BETA,in fact the only
reason I have to visit M/S is to use the Wormblaster. :thumbsup:

#14 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:03 PM

The microsoft spyware found a few things on its first sweep and has never foud anything else even after updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users