Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get wireless to work on desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hello, I'm trying to set up wireless on my grandpas computer, The wireless router works fine I have tried it on several laptops and an Ipod Touch. I used a Wireless USB G adapter. I installed it and It said there was only one bar of signal and it would not work because there was not enough signal. I switched to a wireless USB N adapter same problem it showed as only one bar signal and would not pull up google. I tried the USB adapters on another computer and they worked fine. I bought and installed a USB 2.0 card for his desktop and tried both the USB adapters again with no luck. I brought his laptop and set it right next to the desktop and it had full signal and worked fine but the desktop does not! I have run out of ideas can anyone help or suggest more things to try?

FYI there are no baby monitors in the house and the wireless router is about 30 feet away with only 2 walls in between. He said they are not made out of plaster and chicken wire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:56 AM

Ensure that you have the latest driver for the wifi device and that it is installed correctly. Also, is the wifi card is a USB device, try moving it around to find a better signal (like futzing with rabbit ears on an old TV)

#3 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:58 AM

I would say remove and re-install the application/drivers.

What applications are you trying to connect with? If you use the one that can with the adapter then use the windows one if you use windows use the one that came with the adapter.

Try rotating the antenna, if it doesn't have an antenna plug it into another USB port.

Try installing either newer drivers from the manufacturer.

Are there any electrical items around the PC? Just like a fan can interference old school CRT monitor, the wireless signal can ge interfere.

If you are using the windows zero configuration utility restart the service.
Click on start, run type, services.msc, look for wireless Zero Configuration, right click and select restart and try the connection.

What OS do you have?

#4 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

It is windows XP, I'm using the windows wireless connection to connect it, I have tried the drivers that come with it and new ones from there website. I have also tried more then one USB port

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users