Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low memory error on vista x64

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

Every once in a while, I get the following error:

Close programs to prevent information
loss.

Your computer is low on memory. Save your files
and close these programs:

Internet Explorer

The process to close isn't specifically Internet Explorer.

It only happens when I'm in a game. I have my paging file off because I have 4 gigs of RAM, and I've only maxed out once (while running crysis and a pretty intense inkscape project at the same time; oops). I always have at least a gig or memory left unused after I get the error. Also, there don't seem to be any negative effects besides annoyance.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Attached File  VistaLowMemory.png   32.88KB   19 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Turn on the page file and let the system manage it.

#3 Joombaga

Joombaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:11 AM

A paging file opposes system performance. It is best to use your RAM to increase your hard disk cache, which is pretty much the opposite of a paging file. I use a program called cachebooster from analog x (Link) to do this. But my problem started before the use of this program.

Does anyone know how Windows calculates when you have low memory, i.e. is it a fixed amount used/left, percentage left, etc. ?

#4 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

windows decides how much page file (or swap) it needs. I would not use some crazy third party program, for windows can't deal with that. I would switch on the page file, and let windows deal with it as needed. Unless you run low on HD, you will be just fine.

Windows uses what it needs.
Posted Image

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

Temporarily, during gaming, try turning off Superfetch and see if that makes a difference.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

Even with the page file disabled\turned off Windows still makes one. Check Task Manager.

I run with 4 Gigs and the page file disabled but TM still shows a 364 MB page file.

Have read many articles concerning performance with or with out a page file. No one has really proven it one way or another.

Try what CoolCatBad suggests. Let the system manage it for a while. See if the error go`s away. I really do not think you will notice a performance hit. If you do then you may want to look at a system upgrade. Example; a video card with an on board GPU and at least a Gig of RAM. That will give you a noticeable performance boost when gaming.

#7 Joombaga

Joombaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

It looks like setting the page file max size to 1 mb is the best thing I can do I get a lower 3dmark score, but no memory errors, and a better score than when the system manages the paging file. I do, however believe that this is a design flaw in Windows. I think most people would expect the paging file to be used like any other operating system.

Thanks for the input though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users