Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista does not recognize cd rom drive any more

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Gateway laptop M-6750, Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5450/3072 MB/ 250 GB SATA hard drive/ Intel Graphics X3100/ Webcam, 8X Multi Format Dual DVDRW Labelflash/ 5 in 1 reader/ Vista Home Premium.

Guys, all of a sudden it does not see the cd rom. It does not show up in Explore as a recognized drive; I see:
Hard Disk Drives (2) -
Local Disk (C:)and Recovery (D:)
plus Other (2) -
My Sharing Folders and Nokia Phone Browser.

When I look at Device Manager I do not see a line called DVD/CD Rom drives; I believe it should be just below Display Adapters and above IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers but it is not there.

I do have a yellow exclamation mark at Network adapters. It shows yellow on isatap (BEC8CEA7-229C-4564-87CA-9342EA2768444) and says: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31); Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available." I clicked Solutions and got nothing from Microsoft; also when I searched for a better driver I found that the current driver dated 6/21/2006 is correct.

However when I looked this up on Microsoft help, it said that in this instance the yellow ! meant nothing and the device would work properly. (I tried to delete and reinstall this driver. When I deleted it, I was reduced from three to two network adapters and could not figure out how to re-install this isatap driver. So I rebooted thinking it would reinstall itself - wrong. It went through the Windows screen, then gave me a blue screen saying I had a critical error, Windows had shut down to protect the computer, and if this was the first time, then reboot or if not you are toast. Upon reboot it did not automatically reload the driver - thought it was supposed to do that. Of course I do not know whether this adapter is for the cd rom or not. On second thought the icon next to isatap looks like a monitor and not a cd drive so I doubt this has anything to do with the cd rom. Barking up the wrong tree?

So I used System Restore and it rebooted OK with still no cd rom recognized. I did notice that Napster had recently been deleted (daughter's computer) and maybe that was the last time the laptop recognized the cd rom. I used Windows Fix It automatic program - but that did no good. Used the one for - computer does not see cd rom and gives a Code 31 message. Microsoft says that a conflict in registry causes this problem and the Fix It button was supposed to clear it up but no work. Microsoft also mentioned that installing a new cd burning software could cause the problem - so maybe deleting Napster caused this problem???

Again in brief - laptop does not see the cd rom, DVD/CD rom line does not appear anywhere in Device Drivers.

It worked perfectly for one year. So what do I do now? Appreciate your help.

Edited by tyl604, 03 August 2009 - 07:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:09 AM

Did you use the Help and Support options here? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Also this could help http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=240722835

Edited by CoolCatBad, 04 August 2009 - 06:30 AM.

#3 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

I already tried the Microsoft page. That is where I got the Fix It application which did not work. Thanks for the Gateway drivers page. It looks like it will download all of the drivers for the Gateway laptop; will try today.

So you are saying that Vista does not have a line in Device Manager which identifies the DVD/CD Rom? I will find another computer with Vista and take a look; must be different from Windows XP. Is the DVD/CD rom not shown anyplace in Vista?

This sounds like a driver problem to me. I can hear the cd spinning and the light continues to come on, just get no music or anything else. So seems like a driver problem.

Does anyone have comment about the isatapi (Sp?-cannot see my earlier post). Microsoft says do not worry about the yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager; says it works anyway. So am I right in assuming this has nothing to do with my cd rom problem?

#4 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

I looked at the Gateway page and see no driver that has to do with the CD Rom drive. The closest thing I saw had to do with the SATA drive. I downloaded it, got ready to install, then saw that it was for the hard drive only and that once installed it was not reversable. So I stopped.

Does any one see drivers on this Gateway page that work on the CD Rom?

Thx

#5 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Resolved. Apparently it was just a bad connection. I found a manual for a different Gateway laptop and tried to remove the CD drive. In the other one you just remove one screw and pull the CD drive out. I tried it and it did not work on the M-6750; something else holds it in. However I gave it some pretty good pulls before pushing it back in securely and replacing the single screw.

When I rebooted, suddenly Vista recognized the CD drive and it works fine. So I guess it just needed to be jiggled around some and tightened back up.

#6 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

Well, the problem is back - the laptop does not recognize the CD drive. This probably is because I dropped the silly laptop and banged it on the floor. Now the CD drive will not close completely - stays just a hair open - and will not open by use of the button, I must insert a paperclip to get it to open.

FYI - this was just after I used the recovery console to save all files (it said no data would be lost - would lose only after installed programs) and reinstalled Vista. For some reason Vista would not open, just got a black screen. Would not even open up in Safe Mode so I did an F8 and used recovery console. There is one more drastic item in recovery console which also reinstalls Vista from a partition but it warns that all data will be lost; I used the less invasive recovery. So after doing this I tripped and dropped the laptop.

So what do I do now? This model does not seem to release the CD drive after removing a single screw; I tried that already - it will not slide out. Could there be more screws to remove or could there be a catch/release that I do not see? How do I get it out? Next nothing seems to be broken. I slid out the tray and removed the metal cover on the bottom and inspected it - saw ribbons and a slim steel bar, the catch that moves when you insert a paper clip, and various other things. Nothing looked broken.

Remember, last time when the laptop would not read the CD drive, I removed the screw and found that the drive would not come out. So I just put it in again and magically it saw the drive. Guessed that something was just loose. Tried the same approach this time and no luck (but this time it does not exactly close all the way).

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Maybe I broke the drive but I need to get it out in order to install a new one - and I cannot figure how to get it out. No manual available on line that I can find.

#7 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

Resolved again and now I have identified the original problem. The CD drive does come out with one screw removed but I have been removing the wrong screw. The correct screw is in the middle of the bottom of the laptop about five inches from the end. It screws into a metal tab which is attached to the back of the CD drive and secures the drive. Remove this screw and the drive actually slides right out.

I found that the tab was bent slightly which caused the drive to protrude just enough that it did not make electrical contact with the connector inside the laptop. I removed the tab, straightened it out, and reattached it to the back of the CD drive. Then I slide the CD drive back into the laptop and replaced the outside screw.

Opened the laptop and it still did not recognize the optical drive. :huh: Then I restarted the laptop, noticed that the CD drivers were being installed, and then it worked.

So again the original problem that the laptop was not recognizing the CD drive was because the drive was not securely making contact with the connector inside the laptop. Since this laptop is over six months old, I think someone (my daughter) must have dropped it and not fessed up.

Resolved now and working fine.

Edited by tyl604, 19 August 2009 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users