Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer only boots with one stick of RAM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuperNerd1988

SuperNerd1988

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

I have two 2GB sticks of Corsair XMS2 800MHz RAM and if I turn my computer on with both of them plugged in, whether single or dual channel, LEDs come on. fans spin up, etc. so I know everything is getting power but the monitor stays in standby suggesting it isn't receiving a signal. There is no POST or anything else to indicate the computer is running. If I take one out, leaving a stick in the first slot only, it boots and runs just fine. What does this mean? By the way, the motherboard is an MSI K9A2+ Platinum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

Id say thats a bad stick of memory you got there! Return it and get it swapped for another one.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

Does it matter which stick goes into the 1st slot? If both work in slot 1, then the 2nd slot could be bad.

Check also to make sure they are similar sticks. Nonsimilar sticks do not always work together, especially if one is low density and the other is high density.

So, just make sure the sticks are the same.

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 04 August 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#4 gryphox

gryphox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

I actually have this exact problem, and my ram and mobo are almost identical. However:

I know it's not a bad stick of ram.

All sticks are identical.

I know it's not a bad mobo because I've swapped out this mobo with a different one and the same problem occurs.

So now it's most likely either the processor (it was overheating recently from too much dust causing a system shutdown until I cleaned out the fan... might have damaged it), the psu, or windows vista 64, or some compatibility problem with the components of my computer.

Anyone know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users