Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msvcr80.dll - file not found error message

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

My in-law's computer is saying that the msvcr80.dll file is not found. (or is it msvcr.80.dll??? he told me over the phone so I don't know if it matters)

He can get online, but gets this message when he tried to open files. I don't know why it would be that way, I thought something may have been changed in the

registry. I was going to run Malwarebytes & SAS to see if that would help the problem (since it fixes almost everything), but he uses Windows ME and I was not

sure if they were compatible with ME. I'm going over there in a few, and will check back here, hopefully I'll have some help in a reply waiting for me.

jayz

What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi jayz,

You need to check and post the file name for anyone to help you with your problem.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

"My in-law's computer is saying that the msvcr80.dll file is not found " <------I posted the file name.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

so he trys to open any file and it says that error ? or it says it at start up ?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:44 AM

msvcr80.dll is a file from Visual Studio 2005 (version 8.0). It is needed for program written in C/C++ language using Visual Studio 2005.

You have to download Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) and install it :

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details...;displaylang=en

#6 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

His computer is saying that the msvcr80.dll file is not found....he can get online, but programs won't run. He originallytried to open the shortcut to his Windows Antivirus Pro, and got the message.

I looked in the program file for that software and the .dll file it says was not found IS there. I also tried to use the sytem restore feature, but that will not run either. I am unable to make any installed program, but the internet. Any thoughts?

I had in the past installed SAS on this PC, that will not open either. He uses Windows ME, so his programs he can use are
limited.

Romeo wrote: "msvcr80.dll is a file from Visual Studio 2005 (version 8.0). It is needed for program written in C/C++ language using Visual Studio 2005.

You have to download Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)" Would I be able to download that to a flash drive and install it, or should I install from there? i only ask because it runs much slower than mine.

thank you for the help

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

Windows Antivirus Pro is a rogue program and a virus in itself. It will block your anti-spyware and anti-virus programs so the behaviour your seeing is consistent with that.

He should post in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum for instructions being sure to advise that he's running ME.

Grinler has written a guide to removing it that you can find here but whether Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will run on ME I don't know. I also wouldn't use Fixtm.reg on ME without further advice in the AII forum.

Good luck!

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Would I be able to download that to a flash drive and install it, or should I install from there? i only ask because it runs much slower than mine.

Yes that is possible.

BUT

As Leurgy has said, Windows Antivirus Pro is a malware. Before you solve other problems, you should take care of this malware and post in Am I Infected section. Experts there would give you the best advice and directions.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

MBAM

Key Features
Support for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista (32-bit and 64-bit).

Does support windows 7
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:23 AM

avast should do the job

#11 Almuric

Almuric

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:11 AM

Just download zip or rar file from here and unzip with Winrar. Then read instruction on where to put the file on the txt file. Restart and see if the problem insists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users