Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan Failed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BrooklynMatt

BrooklynMatt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hi,

Today a breaker was tripped while I was on my computer. When power was restored I turned on my computer and received a warning "CPU Fan Failed. Have system serviced immediately...". First thing I did was open up my computer and I checked the fan. It came on and seems to be working just fine. I unplugged the fan and then plugged it back in just in case the connection was screwy and then tried starting up again - still "CPU Fan Failed.."

The fan works but I'm afraid to hit F2 and continue booting for fear of frying something. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechTeachings

TechTeachings

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

The first step I would take is to reset the CMOS to verify that the message is not just stuck in memory. To do this, unplug the computer, open the case, and remove the small 3 volt button cell battery providing the trickle charge. Wait a few seconds, put it back in, reassemble the PC, and then plug it in and turn it on. Post back and let me know if the PC still displays the error.

Regards,
- Robb

#3 BrooklynMatt

BrooklynMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:26 AM

Thanks Robb,

I gave it a try and I'm still getting the error message.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

leave the battary longer then that
5 minutes should do it

do you have any other fan you can try ? just so we know its the fan not the mother board detecter for the fan rpm per sec

#5 BrooklynMatt

BrooklynMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

I pulled the battery and let it sit for about 20 minutes then tried again. I'm still getting the error. I don't have another fan to try out.

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:21 AM

cant you just buy a $4 one or some thing or get a computer off the side of the road and take the fan out ?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

I am going to guess that it is a 3 wire fan. One being the hot lead, one being the return, the third is the "controler" lead. This is the wire that reads the temp sensor and controls the speed of the fan depending on info it gets from the temperature sensor(s). It is possible that after the electrical hic-up this is the problem. Even though the fan is still running it is getting\sending wrong information, thus the error message.

The fans are easily pulled, usually 4 screws. Should be no need to pull the CPU heat-sink too. If the PC is still under warranty then contact the OEM. They should send you a replacement. Perhaps even a Tech to do it. If not, then obtaining a new one should not be that expensive. You do need to do a bit of research though to make sure you get one that moves enough air. Rated in CFM`s.

If you find yourself still in need of using the PC then keep the side panel off of it so you can keep an eye on the fan. Also be aware of any over heating signs. The PC becomes sluggish, errors start poping-up, anything out of the norm. These may indicate a heat problem and you should shut it down and at that point refrain from using it until the fan is replaced.

#8 BrooklynMatt

BrooklynMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Thunderz. Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a 3 wire. The PC is pretty old so there's no way it's under warranty. I'll try starting it up when I get home and see how it goes. Like I said the fan is turning on so hopefully nothing gets fried.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

Like I said the fan is turning on so hopefully nothing gets fried.

Keep an eye on it and how the PC behaves. If it starts getting sluggish that is a sign of a potential over-heat problem. I would shut it down at that point.

It being an older PC, it may be just plain old starting to show it`s age. Electrical components can and do wear out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#10 BrooklynMatt

BrooklynMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

Thanks again for the help. I pressed F2 to continue the boot and prior to start up I got a CMOS Checksum Bad error. Once it started up everything seemed fine so I looked up the error and saw that one of the causes is improper shutdown and the fix was simply restarting. Once I did that everything worked just fine.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

You did not get the fan failure error?

Would not hurt to keep an eye on it for a little while just to play it safe.

#12 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

The first step I would take is to reset the CMOS to verify that the message is not just stuck in memory. To do this, unplug the computer, open the case, and remove the small 3 volt button cell battery providing the trickle charge. Wait a few seconds, put it back in, reassemble the PC, and then plug it in and turn it on. Post back and let me know if the PC still displays the error.

Regards,
- Robb

A few seconds? Are you messed in the head? For any results you wait a minute or more while holding down the power button.

#13 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

Regards,
- Robb

A few seconds? Are you messed in the head? For any results you wait a minute or more while holding down the power button.

what i thought
just joking lol

Edited by starcraftmaster, 07 August 2009 - 01:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users