Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BriGuy92

BriGuy92

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hey all, this looks like a serious problem I'm having here. I'm working on a friend's laptop at the moment, and it appears to be completely broken. When I power on the computer, it goes through POST just fine. Then it makes as if to start loading Windows (blinking command prompt-style cursor), but then it just switches to a blank screen. No loading bar, no anything at all. On this blank screen, the only thing I can do is power off the computer by pressing the power button (and it powers off instantly, I don't have to hold it down.) It's also possible to reboot by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL. If I turn the computer back on after this, it will offer to run Startup Repair, which, without fail, finds no problems and recommends that I remove any newly installed hardware. There is no newly installed hardware. If I press F8 at the blinking cursor, I get to the Startup Menu. (The one with Safe Mode, etc.) Selecting to boot in safe mode results in a nearly-blank screen (blank except for white bars at the top and bottom), and no drivers load. I can press CTRL-ALT-DEL from here to reboot as well. One of the options in the startup menu is Repair Your Computer. If I choose this, the computer boots into a repair menu. This menu contains these options:

Startup Repair: Using this yields the same results as before.

System Restore: Cannot find any restore points.

Memory Diagnostic Tool: Finds no RAM errors.

Command Prompt

Complete PC Restore

TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard (OEM Reinstall, it would seem.)

I'm hesitant to do a complete reinstall of Windows, because this isn't my computer, and I don't know what my friend might have on it that she wants to keep. Also, I'm not entirely sure what version of Vista is installed, but I'm fairly sure that it's a 32-bit version, which may be a problem because the processor is 64-bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BriGuy92

BriGuy92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

Already been over a day, and no one has an answer for me?

#3 gizmo1958

gizmo1958

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:49 AM

i have a compaq that is doing the same and i cant get a reply i did a restore with disc i made when i bought the computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users