Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open any programs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kamerlet

kamerlet

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

My daughter clicked on a pop-up Windows AntiVirus Pro and I believe it infected my computer. We continue to get that dreaded pop-up over and over. I've tried the following: Running my virus ware, Restore Point, MSCONFIG all do not work. They won't even run in SafeMode. Instead whenever I want to run a program I get a black window that flashes no longer than a second. I believe it says, Program too big for memory. I also get the black window when I start up the computer and it tiles across my screen as all the settings are loading. I need to find out if there is anything I can do. Any suggestions would be helpful. :thumbsup:
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares, why did they write a song about him?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

Thank you I will give it a shot.

#4 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Budapest.....I tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, I encountered the same problem that I had when I tried to run my Spyware/Virus software.

Each time I tried to run either PC Doctor or SuperAntiSpyware it flashes the black C: screen for about a second and says Program is too big for memory.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions I am ready to try. I WILL NOT let this get the best of me. :thumbsup:

Kendra

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555067
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Just not working. I can't disable System Restore even in Safe Mode. Everything comes up with the flashing black window and the file is too big for the memory.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Skip the System Restore part and just try the commands.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Yeah...i did that too. Is it true if you get a virus that attacks your safe mode your history?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Is it true if you get a virus that attacks your safe mode your history?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP - #12 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

Just a suggestion, if you get your computer working, download Rollback Rx. I had THEE WORST rootkit you could think of running rampant on my system at one time. I used my Rollback Rx, all gone. However, you may want to put your documents onto a flash drive.

#11 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Ok Budapest, my friend YOU fix my exe problem. I'm now able to run a scan. Fingers are crossed. :thumbsup:

ComputerNutJob...thank you too for your suggestion.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

Post the log when the scan is finished.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

Budapest you are so wonderful. Thank you so much for working with me. Everything is back to "normal". :thumbsup:

I did have one problem. I went to run Dr.Web in SafeMode and kept getting an error. My guess is that it was a corrupt download when I still had all the problems. Anywho, I was too lazy and burnt out to redownload the Dr. and I had another program on the desktop called Malwarebytes so I tried it. I ran the scan two times.

Thank you again. Words can not express my gratitude. Is there anything customary that folks do to help out the person, like you, who gave of their time? I'd be more than happy to make a donation your way. If you have any other suggestions for me, please let me know.

Thank you again!

Kendra

First Time

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2555
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

8/3/2009 9:33:36 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-03 (21-33-36).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 121293
Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 10
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 47

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\geyekrwhonfvew.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f54af7de-6038-4026-8433-cc30e3f17212} (Rogue.ASC-AntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{f54af7de-6038-4026-8433-cc30e3f17212} (Rogue.ASC-AntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{f54af7de-6038-4026-8433-cc30e3f17212} (Rogue.ASC-AntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\antippro2009_12 (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\antippro2009_12 (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\antippro2009_12 (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\antippro2009_12 (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win AntiVirus Pro (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ANTIPPRO2009_12 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Windows antiVirus pro (Rogue.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AV2010 (Rogue.AV2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\geyekrwhonfvew.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dddesot.dll (Rogue.ASC-AntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\svchast.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AV2010\AV2010.exe (Rogue.AV2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AV2010\IEDefender.dll (Rogue.AV2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AV2010\svchost.exe (Rogue.AV2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\msvcm80.dll (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\msvcp80.dll (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\msvcr80.dll (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\Windows Antivirus Pro.exe (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\wispex.html (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\i1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\i2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\i3.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\j1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\j2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\j3.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\jj1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\jj2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\jj3.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\l1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\l2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\l3.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\pix.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\t1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\t2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\Thumbs.db (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\up1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\up2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\w1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\w11.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\w2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\w3.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\w3.jpg (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\wt1.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\wt2.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\tmp\images\wt3.gif (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\desot.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bennuar.old (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sonhelp.htm (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysnet.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ppp3.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ppp4.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SysLoader.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\onhelp.htm (Rogue.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wispex.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bincd32.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Second Time

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2555
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)

8/3/2009 10:11:37 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-03 (22-11-26).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 119715
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\geyekrwhonfvew.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\geyekrwhonfvew.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

I don't think we're finished yet.

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop:
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the zip archive.
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check the Files box: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 kamerlet

kamerlet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

Whew...this RootRepeal was a long one. Here's what it said.

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
==================================================
Scan Start Time: 2009/08/03 23:14
Program Version: Version 1.3.3.0
Windows Version: Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3
==================================================

Drivers
-------------------
Name: dump_atapi.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_atapi.sys
Address: 0xAA3ED000 Size: 98304 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: dump_WMILIB.SYS
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_WMILIB.SYS
Address: 0xF7BE2000 Size: 8192 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: mchInjDrv.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\mchInjDrv.sys
Address: 0xF7C81000 Size: 2560 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: rootrepeal.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rootrepeal.sys
Address: 0xA8960000 Size: 49152 File Visible: No Signed: -

Hidden/Locked Files
-------------------
Path: Volume C:\

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 1

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 2

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 3

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 4

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 5

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 6

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 8

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 9

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 10

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 11

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 12

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 13

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 14

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 15

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 16

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 17

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 19

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 20

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 21

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 22

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 23

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 24

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 26

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 27

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 28

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 29

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 30

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 31

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 32

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 33

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 34

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 35

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 36

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 38

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 39

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 40

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 41

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 42

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 43

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 44

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 45

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 46

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 47

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 49

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 50

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 51

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 52

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 53

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 54

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 55

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 56

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 57

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 58

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 59

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 60

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 61

Path: Volume C:\, Sector 62

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\geyekrjxdmkpctei.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\geyekroaftoioqen.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\geyekrmtakmtpx.dat

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\geyekrpxraqutl.dat

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\geyekrqjkwnohw.dll

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\geyekrwhonfvew.dll

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\geyekrborigwud.sys

Path: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\aol\topspeed\2.0\aoltsmon.lock

Path: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\aol\topspeed\2.0\server.lock

Stealth Objects
-------------------
Object: Hidden Module [Name: geyekrwhonfvew.dll]
Process: svchost.exe (PID: 1256) Address: 0x10000000 Size: 28672

Object: Hidden Module [Name: geyekrqjkwnohw.dll]
Process: svchost.exe (PID: 1256) Address: 0x00390000 Size: 49152

Hidden Services
-------------------
Service Name: geyekrevscmujh
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\geyekrborigwud.sys

==EOF==

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users