Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anyway to install linux on a 250gb usb harddrive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stewidre1

stewidre1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

and do all of that with no live cd. i dont know anything about linux but i want to try it out and useing my usb harddive seems like a good way to do it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stewidre1

stewidre1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

anybody

#3 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

Well, there are plenty of installation versions that are NOT LiveCD's What do you mean with no live CD? As long as the BIOS is set to boot from the correct source,( CDROM, USB flashdrive) and as long as you point the MBR to the correct drive you should be OK. If you want a network install you can try here, but I'm not sure this is for newbs as I've never done it.

Still not sure what you mean though.

Edited by Trio3b, 04 August 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:52 AM

i made ubuntu boot on linux with Unetbootin

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/creat...e-the-easy-way/

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

Provided that your motherboard can boot from a USB device (most modern ones can) then you should have no trouble installing most any flavor of Linux on your USB drve and booting from it.

I would recommend getting the Ubuntu LiveCD, booting into the LiveCD environment, running the installer and pointing it at your USB drive when asked.

#6 stewidre1

stewidre1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

wow thank you starcraftmaster, i am going to try that when i get some more freetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users