Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PAV.EXE - Personal antivirus MOVED AII

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea Orme

Andrea Orme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

Hi,

i have recently found some malware on my pc, i am on windows vista and keep on having a pop up call Personal antivirus PAV.EXE can ou tell me how to remove this problem

Edited by garmanma, 28 August 2009 - 11:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:50 AM

Andrea and JaySarah - what ever you do DON'T pay the 59 $US or whatever it is they want for the full version ! I have it on a friends laptop and am starting to look for the solution. At the moment I am whistling in the dark, but I intend getting rid of this. When sucessful, I will report back.

:thumbsup:

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:37 AM

Hi, Andrea and JaySarah,

Success has crowned my efforts - I think ! And it's not too difficult.

1 Start your computer in 'Safe Mode' - hold down F8 while you hit the start button and until the computer starts to run.
2 Choose 'Safe Mode' from the choice screen and let the computer boot itself.
3 Once its up and running, RIGHT click on the Start button and then click on 'Open'
4 This seems to open in 'Programs' and you need to navigate to 'Program Files' . Do this by using the 'Ctrl' and 'Up Arrow' keys until you come to 'System (C:)' ; then click on this, scroll down if necessary and click on 'Program Files'
5 You will see a folder called 'PersonalAV' . Click on this and you will see it contains one file called 'PAV.exe' .
6 Click on 'PAV.exe' and then RIGHT click on it. A contextual menu will appear - go down to almost the bottom and choose 'Rename' .
7 In Vista you will need to go back and select the whole file name, including the extension '.exe' , then type in a new name. I called it 'NotPAV.old' but anything will do. You will also have to say 'Yes' in all the boxes that warn that changing extensions may stop files working. That's what you want to do, isn't it ?
8 Close the 'open' box you have been working in and re-boot your computer - and PersonalAV should no longer be bothering you.
9 You can now delete this file by repeating steps 4, 5 and 6 but this time clicking on 'Delete' instead of 'Rename' and saying yes at all the confirmation boxes that turn up. It's gone !

Hope this helps, and if anybody knows a better method, feel free to tell us about it.

By the bye, is this piece of malware a woman thing ? It just happens that the laptop I have just removed it from belongs to a woman too.

Regards

:thumbsup:

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users