Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System never boots Fully

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iteo

iteo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

I have a k7n2 delta with a 1.2 ghz processor, 1 GB of RAM, and an 80 GB HD. This computer has faithfully worked for around 5 years. The problem is that it sits on carpet and gets a lot of dust inside. Recently I was considering upgrading the RAM, and I was moving my 1 GB stick and my 512 MB stick between the three memory sockets because the memory didnt seem to be working correctly. During all of this when i tried to turn my computer back on(RAM was installed) I got a blank screen. I kept working with the RAM though, thinking that the two might be related. The next time i turned the computer on it began to smoke, and after turning it off I found that the second memory socket and 512MB stick had been burning presumably because of a dust buildup. Unperturbed, I cleaned out the soot and all the dust and left the 1 GB stick of RAM in the 1st working slot, and I got the video to work by removing the bios battery and plugging it back in. Windows installed fine, but when I restarted the computer, the bios loaded and proceeded to where windows would have been but it was just a blank screen. I restarted the computer to find the "windows did not correctly start" screen, and so i saw that windows was not going past MUP.sys. I tried loading the windows install cd to do a repair install, but after the cd started it would hang at the "starting windows..." message. Likewise, live linux cds would give me a kernel panic. I opened up the computer and I unplugged the bios battery and put it back in, and everything worked again. But then Windows randomly restarted today, and it gave me the same thing, and so i did the same process again, and it worked again until I got a BSOD that said "DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and the same thing happened again when i restarted. Now however, when i try to enter Windows safe mode, it stalls at hotcore3.sys instead of mup.sys. It seems obvious to me that this cannot be a software issue, because it happens to both linux and windows and cds cant start at boot. Im guessing that either the RAM is bad or the BIOS is bad since removing the battery always fixes it. I have attempted the restore defaults within the bios manually at startup, but nothing seems to fix the problem besides physically removing the battery. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

it stalls at hotcore3.sys

Do you use Paragon Software's Drive Backup?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 iteo

iteo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

Yes I do. I assumed you would want me to uninstall that so i did that, but now it stalls at mup.sys

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

Test your memory with Memtest
http://www.memtest.org/
Maybe some of the diagnostic scans from a Bart's PE CD will show something
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
or UBCD
http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 iteo

iteo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

OK so I tried memtest, but the test would never finish. It would just stall at a different time each time during the test, and most of the time it would build up a couple hundred errors before completely freezing. Occasionally it would throw an "unexpected error" referring to the hard drive, but I tested another harddrive in this computer and I still saw the same rebooting action from the pc. After repeated memtests, it only ever made it to the 5th test, and that only happened once. The majority of the time it stalled at 58% of the first test before freezing or building up a couple hundred errors. Today, I was moving my ram module(vs1gb400c3) back and forth between the green and purple slots to see if it would produce any different results, but now my computer doesn't start at all even after a bios reset. It simply beeps repeatedly, which I believe is the error code for bad or missing RAM. So, right now, my question is, what is the chance tht new RAM would fix the problem, because I am willing to if it is the most likely cause of the problem. If so, I know that I need the specific memory specs as defined on the k7n2 delta-l's website, but I also know that the nforce2 motherboard is picky about RAM. So there is my second question, is there any RAM I should specifically avoid in order to be able to accurately fix the computer. Your help is greatly appreciated. (FYI i have a couple of pictures that I took of the memtests at the different points it froze if those would be helpful)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

FWIW:

Outdated, but still useful for methodology: MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Louis

#7 iteo

iteo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for that info, hamluis, but I dont feel like either of those answer my question. They both indicate that my RAM is bad, but i had the impression that it might be my motherboard or my cpu causing the problems as well, so my question remains, is the RAM the most likely culprit

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

Well...this is the way that I think:

a. There is a reliable method of testing RAM and hard drives...easy for any user to do.

b. There is no reliable way to test a motherboard...other than substituting another motherboard, all other things being equal.

c. A power supply is a key potential player in any hardware scenario...it can be tested by substitution.

d. Ditto for a CPU.

Now...you seem to think that you've provided...3d parties who don't have access to your system...with sufficient info for someone to make a decision you should make.

I don't agree.

FWIW: There seems to be a lot "wishing and hoping" by persons who have system problems or malware problems. That has no impact at all on the reality of what might be wrong or what might be right...it only impacts the attitude of the person seeking (not attempting to provide) help.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users