Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

freezes on welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 webdesignerken

webdesignerken

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:44 PM

I start up the computer with Windows XP. It freezes at the welcome screen (it still says Windows XP). It happens when booted up with safe mode as well.. I have the Windows XP cd...and tried the ftixboot and fixmbr commands. Doesn't work. Any ideas... Also there is no floppy drive....as it says for recovery/restore - insert floppy named, "Windows automated recovery disk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

I start up the computer with Windows XP. It freezes at the welcome screen (it still says Windows XP). It happens when booted up with safe mode as well.. I have the Windows XP cd...and tried the ftixboot and fixmbr commands. Doesn't work. Any ideas... Also there is no floppy drive....as it says for recovery/restore - insert floppy named, "Windows automated recovery disk

Windows automated recovery disk is the disk that came with your computer to restore it to the "Like New Out Of The Box" way. It can also be used to recover to a previous state that is if you have restore turned on .

#3 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

But this laptop does not have a floppy drive. Plus, I was using a Dell disk, so the computer never came with a disk.

#4 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:09 PM

But this laptop does not have a floppy drive. Plus, I was using a Dell disk, so the computer never came with a disk.

Ok try putting the dell disk in and choose the Recover feature on it. It should say something like choose R to repair your windows version.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:18 PM

What Dell disc do you have?

Is it a full install OEM disc or a recovery disc?

#6 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:29 AM

If you even have a copy of windows xp that will work.

Pop in the disk, then repeatedly hit f12, then choose boot from cd.

Windows will unpack necessary files for recovery. Then in the options, press r this will rbing you to the windows repair screen.

Also did you have any problems like viruses? prior to the frozen welcome screen?

#7 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

I'm assuming there were viruses....butr I'm not sure. the laptop is not mine....I've been in the recovery cd, but when I press R. It says to insert the floppy disk. But the computer doesn't have the floppy drive. I can only go into DOS and use limited commands in the recovery mode.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

What brand of laptop is this?

Some manufacturers, like Sony for example, put the recovery disc on a second partition in the computer. See if you can find out if there is a virtual drive (probably D) in the hard drive.

#9 webdesignerken

webdesignerken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:34 PM

Dell....And how would I do that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users