Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win32/cryptor [Split topic]

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kurtmac

kurtmac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

There must be a resurgence of Cryptor because I'm having the same problem with my girlfriend's Win XP laptop. At first, she was infected with the WinPC Defender fake antivirus, which I got rid of, but now Cryptor won't go away. It is possible that WinPC Defender invited it in, or vice versa. My girlfriend's little brother used her laptop to play free flash games online and installed 3rd party plugins and programs to do so, which the trojan may have come in with one of them.

You are correct, Cryptor blocks MalwareBytes from running or even installing. It is also blocking Spybot, Spyware Doctor and other tools that could potentially eradicate it. AVG, AdAware, CCleaner as I have tested are all unable to clean Cryptor. In other words, its a pain in the ass.

Cryptor is dangerous because it doesn't seem like anybody knows what it does. It could be a keystroke logger, it could take screenshots of your activity, it could continually install other malware, or it might do nothing at all but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere on the net. I suggest that, using a different uninfected computer, log on to all of your sensitive online accounts that you may have accessed (bank, email, social, etc) and change all the passwords. Better safe than sorry.

As for eradicating Cryptor, my solution is to reformat the Windows partition and reinstall the OS. In my case, I am going to install Ubuntu Linux instead of XP this time. Luckily, when I first set up the laptop I installed XP on its own hard-drive partition, so that her documents will be unharmed when I wipe it.

I'm going to do the wipe today, I was just checking the internet for any last-minute news or possibilities to rid Cryptor by any other means. Good luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users