Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't update to sp2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

I have windows xp pro service pack 1 and i would like to update to sp2. the download gets 99% done, it stops and a pop up comes up that says "EXTACTIN FAILED amd64\update\update.exe is not a valid win32 applicatetion"
Any ideas on how I can fix this?

-Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:14 AM

Your existing XP is 64 bit?

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Your existing XP is 64 bit?

Or is your processor 64 bit?

From where are you downloading SP2? Please post the link.

Also is your XP legal? If so and XP is 32 bit, you should go straight to SP3.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

To determine which service pack is currently installed on your computer, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
Copy and paste, or type the following command and then click OK:
winver

To install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.

If you have to install Windows XP Service Pack 1a or Windows XP Service Pack 2, go to the "Windows XP Service Pack 1a" section or the "Windows XP Service Pack 2" section in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

Looks like he's trying to apply the 64 bit sp2 to the 32 bit xp sp1

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...g-sp-1-2-a.html

However, after downloading and 'Open'ing it, it got to the end of the extraction and said to me 'amd64\update\update.exe is not a valid Win32 applicaion', then decided to die. Further attempts at extracting the files resulted in similar results.

So I had a bit of a look around and saw that it was the 64 bit version and that I was using a 32 bit OS, but as Im using XP Professional, Im under the assumption that I am using a 64 bit version.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

Right, that is why I think it is a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit OS. IF it were a 64 bit OS the error would be "update.exe is not a valid Win64 applicaion" :thumbsup: A 64 bit processor does not mean you have a 64 bit OS and don't need 64 bit updates, such as this one:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Evidently SP3 is not out for 64 bit yet?

If the operating system is legal, then the best bet, as also posted in that TSF thread, is to enable Automatic Updates and let it run. Windows is better at picking out the correct update for the system. Automatic Updates is also a pretty good download manager. I had my doubts about that when I was on dialup, but discovered with SP3 that it was easier to let automatic updates download and install it than to wait for the entire SP3 to download seperately. It evidently stopped the download when I disconnected and resumed when re-connected. I had it set to download but let me know when to install, which worked out pretty well.

The thing about people

is they change

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

I don't know the difference between 32 and 64 bit. My version of Xp is legal. I purchased it at a computer store a while ago. Here is the link where I have tried to get SP2 from. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

-Thank you

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Start/Run...type winver, hit Enter.

Post the first 2 lines (below the blue) here.

Louis

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

I don't know the difference between 32 and 64 bit. My version of Xp is legal. I purchased it at a computer store a while ago. Here is the link where I have tried to get SP2 from. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

-Thank you

That link is to the 64 bit SP2. It is important to know which operating system you have in order for us to know what the problem is. That error basically says, "Hey, I'm a 32 bit system and you are trying to install a 64 bit update--it won't work." There are fewer problems with 32 bit systems--64 bit is more advanced and still new, so there are more problems with it since software and hardware developers haven't all caught up with the new technology yet. It is really besides the point as it relates to your problem except to know that you downloaded the wrong file to install.

My best advice is that your best bet is to get fully updated to SP3--SP2 is rolled up and included in it. I'm not sure why you were asking about SP2 and not SP3, but looking for SP2 may be why you got the wrong version. When I searched for XP SP2 I got that link to the 64 bit version that you linked to, but none to the 32 bit version. I wouldn't put much stock in horror stories you might have heard about installling SP 3 if that's what you're worried about. Some people may have problems with it but that is the chance you take with any software--in fact there were more horror stories associated with SP2 when it first came out as it made chages on a more basic level--but in many cases that was because the system already had problems or was infected.

Before you install any Service Packs it is advisable to be as sure as you can be that the system is not infected. Run your antivirus and any other scanner you may have and if your system is misbehaving in other ways try to get those corrected as well. Then get Windows fully updated. I can't stress enough how important this is for your system's security. Most of the Service packs and Windows Updates are patches that fix vulnerabilities in Windows that the bad guys just love to exploit. In fact they are counting on people to not get fully updated. I've worked the malware removal forums for more than five years and I've seen it with my own eyes. The most heavily infected systems have no service packs or just SP1.

So I suggest you read the article that DaChew linked to earlier: How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
It gives full instructions on how to get updated. As I've already advised--and I'm sticking to this as the easiest solution for you--the article says the best way is to use Automatic Updates.

Second easiest option is to use Windows Update.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

If you do still have a compelling reasonn to just go with SP2, there is also a link in that article for the 32-bit version of it that should work on your system.

The thing about people

is they change

#10 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

i now have sp2. should i get sp3 or is there even a big difference?

thaank you all for the help.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

If protecting your system...is considered important by you...yes, there is a considerable difference between SP2 and SP3.

The difference amounts to more than 100 critical updates which address known system vulnerabilities to malware...these fixes are not included in SP2, since they all were issued after SP2 had been issued.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users