Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to upgrade old CPU

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ladychadwick

ladychadwick

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:15 PM

I have a (apparently) Gateway-only motherboard, a Samsung MP4M-23AGM and the procesor is an old AMD K6-2, 500 MhZ. Are processors like memory cards, you have to have a certain type, number of pins, slots, holes, etc etc? Other than contacting the not-too helpful people at Gateway, how can I find what my board will handle, or does it matter with CPUs?
thanks. heidi

Edited by ladychadwick, 07 September 2004 - 01:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fuelm@n

Fuelm@n

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:30 PM

It matters! You have to check the mobo specs to see how high you can go in CPU. You can't just put any AMD model CPU on it... hth

What model Gateway do you have?
BleepingComputer Posted Image

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

As you have probably found out, Gateway computers of that era, are proprietary. What that means, is that more then likely you have to purchase it from Gateway, if it is even possible. The reason why you are probably having a hard time finding any information on it, is because apparently, Gateway told the manufacture to call it by this model number. Think of it this way, if I have a blank piece of paper, and you want it, but you do not want anyone else to have the same thing, you can ask me to modify it in someway-even if it is simple as placing a single 1/4" pencil line in the left-hand corner of the page. When you get your paper, you assign it a model number, so that you do not confuse it with other ones.

Before I answer your question about your CPU, I would like to ask one myself. Have you ever opened up your case, and looked around? If you have, there may be a model number stamped on the motherboard, in which you could do a search for it that way. Another way that you can do it, is to d/l a program that will tell you your system specs. If you PM, I will help you out with this step.

Are processors like memory cards, you have to have a certain type, number of pins, slots, holes, etc etc?

Yes, processors are just like other components, that you can only get certain ones. The limitations are based on the motherboard and CPU socket. Some things to consider: You can ONLY get a replacement for the exact same physical size CPU, as the one you currently own; you can ONLY go up to the maximum support CPUs that the motherboard will support (in your case, about a 10-15% increase); and finally, it is VERY possible that your CPU is non-removable (mainly because of proprietary of Gateway).

I certainly do not want you to be discouraged on the information that I provided because it does not look good. There are ways to increase speed, that you may benefit from in not only cost, but also in ease of finding, and that would be to increase the amount of RAM that you have. To help you out, I will need to know the amount of RAM that you currently have (the type{SDRAM, RDRAM, ect...} would be helpful too), and your version of Windows. If I was to take a guess on the latter information, I would say that it is either Windows 95, or 98.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

Ok so heres my opinion. I tried this too...never did do it because you do have to know what your MB can handle along with your PS and such....Some pcs even come with the maximum CPU that their MB can handle! So be careful not to burn your pc up!

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 07:38 PM

never did do it because you do have to know what your MB can handle along with your PS and such

That is a good thought, but we are talking about changing out the CPU(which all in the same type, are regulated, in voltage), or changing out the RAM. In the latter case, even if you tried to put in a different kind of RAM, which you can't because of the way it is slotted, you still would not come close to overvolting your system.

Some pcs even come with the maximum CPU that their MB can handle!

Although it is very possible that the motherboard already has max RAM, it is extremely unlikely that it came that way. Sure, you can order any computer now, with as much RAM as the MB can handle, but it is not common practice for it to be done 7-10 years ago, which is my estimate of when this one was bought.

With the MOBO(Motherboard) name, we can research the max RAM, and PSU(Power Supply Unit), that it can handle. The PSU will not be changed, but the information will be used to insure that there is enough power to the components.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 ladychadwick

ladychadwick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:02 PM

Gateway model is 500SE Deluxe. Shipped to me November of 2000. Running Windows ME. Well it does look as though the CPU cannot even be removed although the fan is on top of it, I might not be able to take it out. The only thing my software says about it on a system analysis is that it's an AMD K6-2 500 MhZ. The memory chip is 256, I had to buy it, it only came with less than 30 if I remember correctly.
Guess I gotta look at a Dell!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users