Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When will Win7 be preinstalled at the OEM level?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

The husband and I are contemplating a new pc at Christmas or this Spring. Does anyone know yet if OEM's are going to be offering pc's for sale with Win7 pre-installed by Christmas? I am aware of selected models being eligible for a Win7 upgrade, but wondered when OEM's will be able to offer pc's with it already installed.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

I read last week that Win7 had reached the RTM (Release To Manufacturers) stage so by the official release date of October, there should be plenty of machines available with Win7 installed.

I have XP MCE (Pro), Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, and the RC of Win7, and I have to say that Win7 is definitely my favourite.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

OMG I forgot I posted this question the other day! Thanks for your reply Rowal. I figured they would be available in October. At least I hope so. I don't want to get a machine now and have to learn Vista just to turn around and have to learn yet another new OS the end of the year. I keep hearing such good things about Win7 on BBR DSL I just want to jump from my WinXP right over vista and on to Win7.

Thanks again!
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

I understand its firewall has both inbound and outbound protection now. Do you think it adequate to use alone or are people still finding it inadequate and using a third party firewall?

#5 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

OMG I forgot I posted this question the other day! Thanks for your reply Rowal. I figured they would be available in October. At least I hope so. I don't want to get a machine now and have to learn Vista just to turn around and have to learn yet another new OS the end of the year. I keep hearing such good things about Win7 on BBR DSL I just want to jump from my WinXP right over vista and on to Win7.

Thanks again!

Windows 7 Upgrade Option
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx

The Windows 7 firewall is highly configurable and runs with few system resources. In combination with a home router capable of NAT and SPI, you will be well protected.

#6 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

I am using it right now on this "Win 7 RC eval build 7100" and this OS has been running for 2 months and it is clean.

I see no problems.

ranger72
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#7 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I hear nothing but good comments for the most part. Everyone says it's very stable. I never upgraded to Vista, so I hope the learning curve coming from an XP world isn't too bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users