Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im in the market for a monitor.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Im looking for a LCD monitor for my computer. I'm a gamer and would like as large as I can get for a good price, but with quality. What should i be looking for and do you guys have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

can anyone help me out?

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

It is just so subjective.

I have a 2253BW that I bought, highly recommended by just about everyone, and it was only so-so in my opinion. It replaced a cheaper Viewsonic 22" LCD, and truth be told, I liked the older monitor better. The wife has that Viewsonic on her system and won't give it up.

Since you are gaming, a low response time is important (sub 5ms preferred). Ignore "dynamic contrast ratio" in product descriptions, it is annoying. Make sure you videocard is able to support the resolution and has the speed/memory to give you decent framerate at the monitors resolution. Driving a 1920 x 1200 monitor with the eye candy on takes a quick videocard and more than 512 meg of video memory.

My advice is to hit local box stores/office supply stores and check out the monitors on display and see what you like. Narrow your choices.

Edited by dpunisher, 04 August 2009 - 04:14 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

Well, you didn't list price or sizes so it is difficult to provide a list. Dpunisher is right in that you need a low response time if you gaming. The size of the monitor is a personal preference kind of thing IMO. For me, a 24-inch monitor is as large I'm willing to go since anything bigger can be difficult to see.

Here are some choices.

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" - A good monitor for 19-inches, it doesn't have HDMI but few monitors at this size do.
ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) - Once again no HDMI but it has a very fast refresh rate.
ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) - A larger version of the previous Asus monitor. This one has HDMI and can do 1080p as a native resolution.

3939.png

#5 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Ok, I'm sorry I was not as clear on what I wanted. I'm a college student and I'm pressed for money. I was told by some friends that newegg.com is a good place to buy from and shipping time is really quick. I was also further told that Acer was a good brand. What do you guys think of that? I would love something like this....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009163
....but the price tag is just barely to much. I'm concerned because it seems to me fronm what I see is lots of people have problems with LCD's and they fail. Is that something that I should be worrying about? Or are they usually just as reliable as a CRT? This is my first LCD as I have lived with a large heavy CRT that takes up to much room.
There is also this monitor that is on my mind....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824254035
.... however I have not had any people who have had a Hanns and I'm worried that its a questionable brand. I want a good monitor and I would need it cheap, but have it be reliable, I cant afford a bad product.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

I wouldn't kick either of those choices out of bed, I would go for the Acer though.

As far as reliability, it's a toss up. I have had 2 CRTs die on me (one a $500 Sony), and 1 LCD (bad inverter board). I get LCDs in for repair every so often, usually laptops. Overall I have to give a nod to LEDs for reliability.

If this is indeed your first LCD, you will miss your black levels in games. I actually went back to my 19" CRT after buying my first LCD as I never could get it acceptable in games. I don't miss those early LCDs.

Edited by dpunisher, 04 August 2009 - 07:06 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

That is one thing CRT's do very well, and that is deep blacks. Look at the contrast ratio on monitors, that will be an indication as to how black they can go. Note that contrast measurement methods are rarely uniform and monitor manufacturers will skew the data. Also, the very high contrast ratio numbers I've seen are rarely accurate. I've only had one monitor go bad. I currently have a BenQ monitor (a BenQ G2400W 24") that I purchased from Newegg and I've been very impressed with it. The 22-inch Asus monitor I selected is better at only $10 more than the Hanns·G. What makes it better is two things, one, the monitor has a rebate that will drop the price to below the Hanns, and two, it has a faster refresh rate. As for the Acer, they can be good but 23 inches is an odd size for a monitor. I tend to trust Asus more than Acer from experience. The 24-inch Asus is also better than the 23-inch Acer for the same reasons. Unfortunately, the 24-inch Asus is the cheapest Newegg offers in the 24-inch range. If the 24-inch monitor costs too much, Asus does have a 23-inch model available. It has a $20 mail-in rebate which, if used, will make it the same price as the Acer, plus it has the 2ms refresh rate the other Asus monitors have. Here's the link to the product page: ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG). When buying monitors, make sure you have the best cable for your selected monitor. Using a traditional VGA cable for a monitor that can take HDMI or DVI is not a good idea. Also, monitors can be expensive to ship if purchased online. Check to see if there are any free shipping offers. Several of the monitors in all sizes at Newegg have these special offers. The shipping is important as any costs savings you think you are getting could be easily blown on shipping. Speaking as a fellow university student, you will appreciate the smaller size of an LCD. It makes it easier to move around.

3939.png

#8 604action

604action

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

Go for a low response timing for gamingPosted Image
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”
(Nytwind)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users