Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

on install, AVG says another av product is present

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dreamwalk

dreamwalk

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Helping friend with computer problems. I think there are two issues, one of which should be posted here (I think) and the other-someone will have to tell me if it is a separate issue needing its own space or a symptom of issue number one.

This computer has WinXP Home. I installed several overdue updates over the last couple of days including SP 3 and IE 8.

I was called in because the computer won't stay shut down and my friend wondered if she had a virus. If you click start>turn off>turn off , the computer reacts as if you clicked start>turn off>restart. My friend asked if this was due to a virus. She had AVG 8.5 Free Edition installed, but had done it herself and wasn't sure she did it correctly. However, when she had shown me how the computer rebooted itself, I had noticed a balloon in the systray that said Defender-pro firewall was turned off. Clicking the balloon took me to Win Security Center. Their recommendations were to turn on DP (which had supposedly been uninstalled-and was not in add/remove programs) or turn on Windows Firewall. I turned on Windows Firewall and that solved the popup. But turning off Win Firewall had the message regarding Defender-pro back (if DP is uninstalled, why is it reporting to Win Security Center?).

I looked in the Event Viewer (Admin tools) and under the Applications section found the following two warnings that occurred every time the computer turned itself back on:

ID: 1524
Source: Userenv
User: OWNER-B2AB92955\OWNER
Computer: OWNER-B2AB92955
Description:
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Computer: OWNER-B2AB92955
Description:
Windows saved user OWNER-B2AB92955\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

At this point I thought, maybe the problem was either DP or some kind of malware that wasn't letting go at shutdown. Ran a scan with AVG and no infections but some warning cookies, had those removed to virus vault. I also downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Antimalware. No infections except two popcap loader entries, presumably for a game she'd purchased and installed. So I left them alone. Still getting restart at shutdown and the Defender-Pro messages from Security Center.

Then, I googled Defender-pro and found some complaints about it being difficult to remove. Since my friend had the DP disk, I uninstalled AVG and Spybot S&D and reinstalled Defender-pro. Installation included an announcement that I still had two days of subscription left. I rebooted and proceeded to uninstall DP. Everything seemed to go well, but at reboot, still getting same messages from Security Center of DP reports being turned off. Also, computer still reboots itself when you try to turn it off.

DP's website had a file to download that would supposedly cure uninstall problems-KAVremover9. Running this gave me the message that Kaspersky's was not on the computer. Then I opened a chat session with DP's tech support. The tech asked if I had any other antivirus installed. I told her what I'd already done, including uninstalling AVG. She emailed me a file to run. Same KAV, same results. Then had me go to registry (regedit) and (the following is pasted from chat session):

Christy: then X2 click on hklocal machine
Christy: then x2 click on software
Christy: and then look for AVG
Christy: if there r click and delete
Christy: then look for Symantec
Christy: if there r click and delte
Christy: then look for Kaspersky lab if there r click and delete
paula: deleted avg and kaspersky, no symantec
Christy: ok.. now exit out of here
Christy: and restart
Christy: this will have removed them

However, nothing had changed.

Next I tried to reinstall AVG and got a message saying:
"Another anti-virus or security product is currently installed on this computer!

It is not advisable to have more than one security product running on the same computer because of possible system conflicts.

We strongly recommend that you uninstall the existing anti-virus/security product before proceeding with the AVG 8.5 installation again."

SO...how do I find what is installed and if it is the Defender-Pro, how do I remove it so I can reinstall AVG?

And is this what is causing the computer to restart when I do a shutdown?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Paula
No trees were killed in the creation of this message, but a number of electrons were diverted from their chosen path

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Smart Defender Pro is a malware :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...rt-defender-pro

#3 dreamwalk

dreamwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

Smart Defender Pro is a malware :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...rt-defender-pro

That was my first thought. But apparently, this isn't Smart Defender Pro. There have been none of the trademark windows or offers of free scans.

This is Defender-pro 5-in-1 2008. Viola (my friend) said she bought it at Walmart. The tech in the chat session said it was a Kaspersky product.

I also just received an email from their tech support (I emailed them a while back and had given up hope of receiving an answer):

Restart the system in Safe Mode. (Do this by continuously tapping the F8
function key at the top of your keyboard as the computer is restarting until
you get the windows setup menu and select safe mode.)

Delete the following folders on the hard drive:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Defender Pro

C:\Program Files\Defender Pro\Defender Pro Internet Security 6.0

Remove the following Registry keys:

The Registry is a very sensitive part of Windows and removing or editing the
wrong value can cause a multitude of problems. Please follow the instructions
exactly to ensure a minimal chance of problems. If you wish to make a backup
of the registry before proceeding, please use the links below to view
Microsoft Support Articles describing how to backup the Windows Registry.

For Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;q322756

**If you do not see a particular entry, skip that entry and move on to the
next entry until you complete this step.**

- Click Start, and Run.

- Type in "regedit".

- Click on the plus sign next to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

- Click on the plus sign next to "SOFTWARE"

- Click once to highlight the "KasperskyLab" folder on the left side.

- Make sure that key is highlighted and hit the Delete key on the keyboard.
Choose Yes to confirm the delete.

- Click on the plus sign next to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

- Click on the plus sign next to "SOFTWARE"

- Click on the plus sign next to "Microsoft"

- Click on the plus sign next to "Windows"

- Click on the plus sign next to "Current Version"

- Click on the plus sign next to "Uninstall"

- Click once to highlight the "D0DCD54F-C829-41A5-AF32-71E632BB0E2C" folder
on the left side. NOTE: On some systems, this folder may be named
"InstallWIXD0DCD54F-C829-41A5-AF32-71E632BB0E2C"

- Make sure that key is highlighted and hit the Delete key on the keyboard.
Choose Yes to confirm the delete.

Browse to the Registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. In the
right hand pane, highlight the AVP entry and delete it. Click on the X in the
top right corner of the window to close the Registry Editor.

After you exit out of the registry please do a complete shutdown of the
computer and reboot before proceeding on to any other computer operations
including any attempts to reinstall Defender to your system.

The tech in the chat session did not have me use safe mode. Also, she already had me delete the Kaspersky folder referred to in these instructions. Will it make a difference that it wasn't in safe mode if I proceed now?

Paula
No trees were killed in the creation of this message, but a number of electrons were diverted from their chosen path

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

Sorry, never heard of Defender Pro before and it looked like Smart Defender pro.

Well if it has Kaspersky AntiVirus, then download Kaspersky Antivirus Removal tool and run it.
http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/uti...avremover10.zip

If it does not detect any antivirus installed, then you may have to run the command line tool as specified n the link below:
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

Avg has an uninstaller also

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software
information as supplied by ESET

• Running two antivirus products on the same computer can cause system instability and degraded performance.
    It is very important that any previously installed antivirus software is uninstalled from your system before proceeding with the installation of another Anti-Virus product.
  • Avast
  • AVG
  • BitDefender
  • CA
  • F-Secure
  • Kaspersky
  • McAfee
  • NOD32
  • Panda
  • Symantec (Norton)
  • Trend Micro

Click the link associated with the antivirus software which is currently installed on your system.
    Follow the prompts which are detailed on their web sites.

After this process completes, you will need to restart your computer.
    You may then proceed with your installation of a new Anti-Virus application.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

Link given by DaChew leads to basic uninstallation of Kaspersky AntiVirus version 6.0 using Add/Remove Control Panel.
I guess ESET has to modify their links :thumbsup:

The correct removal tool link is given in my previous post for all versions of Kaspersky antivirus starting frm version 6.0

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

http://defender-pro.com/support-1/defender...n-installation/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 dreamwalk

dreamwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

Sorry guys, there's no "king of the lab" yet. Romeo, the link to your product still found no Kaspersky's and Da chew's is the same place I found myself.

I've also since tried the suggestions from email from defender pro support. Couldn't find the files he wanted me to remove either. After informing him of this, he sent link to BitDefender Uninstaller. (wonders if tech knows just who makes his product?) This also had no effect.

Help?

Paula the bewildered

#9 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Hate to say this but you may have to reinstall again and use a third party uninstaller. I use Revo Uninstaller myself, it has 4 modes to uninstall with so you may need the advanced mode to get all of DP. There are other uninstallers around so google uninstallers and read about them before deciding what way to go because each has there features set up differently. Was on my way to bed when I got a mail beep so I looked then stayed on line. At 12:15a 5a will come mighty fast.

Good Luck,

Dan

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

Sorry guys, there's no "king of the lab" yet. Romeo, the link to your product still found no Kaspersky's and Da chew's is the same place I found myself.

I've also since tried the suggestions from email from defender pro support. Couldn't find the files he wanted me to remove either. After informing him of this, he sent link to BitDefender Uninstaller. (wonders if tech knows just who makes his product?) This also had no effect.

Help?

Paula the bewildered

Did you try the command line options as shown on Kapsersky's web site?

EDIT: It appears that DP 2008 has either KIS 6 or 7, so try giving commands :
kavremover10.exe kis6
kavremover10.exe kis7

Edited by Romeo29, 07 August 2009 - 05:19 AM.

#11 dreamwalk

dreamwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

Romeo, you are officially 'KING OF THE LAB'!! I tried using the command line options and after a couple of false starts trying to change the directory, (slaps forehead) I thought to just unzip the file to the necessary directory . Halleluia, IT WORKED! No more reports of Defender Pro from Security Center. And I was able to install AVG with the ease I've always had.

I do have one more question. The computer still immediately restarts when I try to turn it off. Any suggestions where to post this problem? Again, thank you for your patience with me and my friend sends you muchas gracias!

Paula, the estactic

PS Here's your 'King of the Lab' sceptor: <@>--------------
And 50 lashes with a wet noodle to me for not trying the command line when you first suggested it. :thumbsup:

PS to Dan: Sorry about the late hours. Hope you didn't suffer too much the next morning. You are most chivalrous to a lady-in-distress.

P

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:03 AM

You are welcome :flowers:
I am glad your problem is solved. I always wanted to be king of some kind :thumbsup: thank you for the sceptre :trumpet: (looks like the ones Lady Gaga has)

For your new problem, I suggest that you post it in Windows XP section (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/) as you seem to have Windows XP installed on your system and it seems an OS related problem.

Edited by Romeo29, 09 August 2009 - 04:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users