Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:14 PM

Always when I start this certain laptop this message appears in the form of a windows security center message asking if svchost.exe can be allowed to run. I first check the "Always do this box" and then click yes but it always pops up. Can I disable svchost in the startup in msconfig or would that be a nono

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:18 PM

SVChost.exe is a critical windows process that manages the launching of applications. It needs to access the internet on different ports all the time.

If your using zonelabs, do this.
Open zonealarm, click program control
under the programs tab, find the svchost.exe ad then make sure everything is checked for outgoing and incoming access.

#3 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

Hmmm I don't have ZoneAlarm or any Firewall Software on the laptop. It seems to have done this on its own.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:15 PM

To be on the safe side I'd run these 2 online scans:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:31 PM

I have to agree with tg1911 on this one as the svchost.exe can and has been known to be corrupted by viruses and whatnot.

#6 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:35 AM

All you need to do is see if the file svchost.exe is starting up from C:\windows\system32 driectory, if it is then your safe from viruses.

To check, download F-port

Run the exe, then open the file entitled readme.txt for the results. If a file called svchost.exe is starting from C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe then you dont have a virus.

F-port is a useful tool to see what ports you have open, and what apps are listening in on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users