Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does this price sound right?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi, I want to transfer some of my ancient fragile cassette music tapes onto CD/DVD and I believe i'll need something called a 'USB Cassette Player'.
The advert picture looks like a 10-inch black cube and when a cassette is inserted it'll transfer the music into my PC, from where it can be burnt to disk.
It costs 60 GB pounds (100 US dollars) which seems a bit steep considering i'll only be using it once for one transfer session.
What do you think, is the price fair or are there cheaper ones around, or other cheaper transfer methods?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

It's not really necessary to buy this kind of equipment if you don't want to. If you have access to a reasonable cassette tape player, you should only need a suitable connecting lead and some audio editing software to achieve your purpose. A good free audio editor is Audacity.

Ideally, use a cassette deck to play the tapes, as this will provide a line level audio out, and a decent quality audio signal to record. If you only have a modest number of tapes to transcribe, but don't own a likely player yourself, a tape deck borrowed from, say, a friend's stereo could be pressed into service. A deck normally has stereo RCA outputs, and most computer sound cards have a 3.5mm line in jack, so a lead with those connectors is required, like this:

Posted Image

Even the basic sound (such as onboard chipsets) on average computers can do justice to cassette recordings. To record to a CD, the recordings you make on the computer need to be stereo 44.1KHz 16bit WAV files, and then you choose to burn them to a music disk. Each CD can hold 74 or 80 minutes according to its stated capacity.

Alternatively you can make the recordings in MP3 format, and burn discs as data discs which can be played in MP3 capable CD/DVD player or computer, or put the MP3 files on a flash drive, MP3 player or whatever. Even using high quality MP3 formats, this fits many times as much material into the same space.

If you only have access to some type of portable cassette player, an adaptor to connect from a headphone output, or as a last resort, the speaker connections, will work, but not quite as well as having a proper line out.

Edited by Platypus, 04 August 2009 - 07:47 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users