Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem booting into Windows XP possibly due to HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GurbZ

GurbZ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hi, first time posting here, but probably have used these forums quite a bit.

Usually I can figure most problems with research and site like this, but this one I just cannot.

I built a computer for my aunt roughly a year ago havent had any complaints in that time, then yesterday she called and said the computer is stuck ie not booting into Windows Xp.

So I went over to check it out, I played around with it for a bit and eventually her computer came home with me.

The computer does not boot into Windows, safe mode or normal mode, it just restarts and after disabling the Automatic Restart on System Failure, I took note of the error number although Im not sure if it'll helpful in this case. Stop 0x0000007E (0x0000006,0x80698c12,0xBA4C36E4,0xBA4C33E0). I did look it up and there is mention of it being a hard drive problem, but I pretty much already knew it had to do something with the hard drive.

I think the hard drive is losing it's connection for some reason. I think this because the motherboard is an Asus board with Express Gate, which I believe, runs off of the hard drive without having to boot into Windows. When the computer is first turned on it is supposed to show a type of welcome screen for Express Gate, instead it says Express Gate is not installed. Pressing the restart button does not bring back this menu, only after powering down it comes back.

Also, the HDD in not detected in the bios until the computer is fully powered down and turned back on.

Here's what I have tried so far, I booted off the cd into the recovery console and ran (tried to) chkdsk /r but it would freeze. I tried doing a repair install but that would also freeze (at 25 %) I loaded up UBCD to see if I could get anywhere with that. I can see the stuff on the hard drive but cannot access it, when I double click a folder I gives me a I/O error. Next I tried HDtune from within UBCD, I ran a quick scan and it showed no bad sectors so I ran the normal scan and it started showing every sector as bad, I didn't let it finsih since the result seemed obvious. I switched it back to quick scan it also started showing all sectors as bad.

It seems to me if there is and type of thorough type of scanning going on the hard drive loses it's connection until it's fully powered down and turned back on.

I have a spare brand new hard drive the same model as my aunts and was thinking of swapping the board but I don't have the right torx bit atm, but im not sure if that would work.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

Run a disk diagnostic on the drive, available from the respective hard drive manufacturer's website.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

The fact that it cannot complete a chkdsk /r is not a good sign.

Louis

#3 GurbZ

GurbZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thx for your response.

Ya same deal, when it does it's thorough test it seems to "disconnect" the drive, resulting all sectors showing as bad.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

If all sectors show as bad on the diagnostic...time for a new drive.

Louis

#5 GurbZ

GurbZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

I m not so sure that all the sectors are bad though, it shows they are but, I think is because it stops reading the drive like I said it seems to "disconnect" giving a false reading. It still spins smoothly no clicks or wierd noises. I v tried connecting it to a different computer using a sata to usb adapter and it does the same thing so it not the sata connectors on the mobo. The thing is it only seems to "disconnect" when trying to boot or when it's being scanned thoroughly Ie. chkdsk.

After attempting to do a thorough type of scan it locks up/disconnects and only when I power cycle it does it unlock.

When accessing the drive through UBCD after a power cycle I can see the contents of the drive but if I try to copy/clone it, it give me an I/O error. After one attempt it locks up/disconnects although I can see the contents of the drive but am no longer able to access it like before, until I power cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users