Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a 3rd Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hi all

I have got two hard drives installed in my pc at the moment, one with Windows XP Pro and one with Vista Ultimate 64 bit, the 3rd hard drive i want to install is purely for storage of music and photos etc, my question is.... I take it the 3rd HD does not need a os on it and can i store stuff on it from both Xp and Vista without any problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

No O/S is needed on any partition/drive...which is not going to be used to run the system. That's why those partitions are called system partitions and only 1 can be active as such at any one time on a PC.

Yes, both O/Ses can see/access any files on that storage drive...after you initialize/format the drive.

Windows (My Computer/Explorer) does not regard a drive as useable...until after it has been formatted.

The Disk Management function will see it even though it's not formatted and you can format it from there.

Formatting Hard Drive - Quietman Guidance - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37155

I suggest that you read all the comments/links supplied by Quietman in the link above, he's a very thorough, knowledgeable person who supplies very complete answers, IMO.

Louis

#3 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for that hamluis, just one thing though which i didnt see or might have missed was, I do have windows XP Pro sitting on the 3rd hard drive, I do want to install it at a later date on another pc/Hd, do i need to de-activate it and if so hows that done?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

If the operating system on that drive...came installed as part of the system you now use...legally you cannot move it to a different system.

If it's a MS OEM/System Builder version which you installed yourself on that system...again, legally you cannot move it to a different system.

That's not saying that it cannot be done...it's just not recommended and the chances of such working properly vary.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Intel® Application Accelerator - Moving a Hard Drive to a New Motherboard - http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm

OTOH, if this is a retail/upgrade version of XP which you installed yourself...legally you could move it, but you still have the same situation with settings and drivers.

Louis

#5 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

many thanks for the information, I now understand what i can and cant do, you have been very helpful and thanks for your time :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users