Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Reinstall problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blamzero

blamzero

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

Ok, so, as I write this I am not at my computer as it is terribly, awfully infected by a virus and I have been trying to reinstall winxp to it fresh. Unfortunately, I get that dreaded "no hard drive detected" type error when installing from boot. So it seems I must have some disks to install the appropriate drivers. Unfortunately, I have no idea where those driver disks that came with my motherboard have snuck off to, so I'm having to download the appropriate drivers. Also unfortunately, I am not nearly so computer literate as I ought to be and am not sure I've been downloading the appropriate drivers, or if they're just getting corrupted by the malware. So, while I'm at a different computer now, I fear I'll just get the same error when I get back to my own. The motherboard is an ASUS P5AD2 Premium. I think its an SATA driver that's needed and I've been trying to use the most recent serial ATA driver that I find under the RAID tab for updates. If this sounds wrong of you have a better plan of action for me to follow, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Edited by blamzero, 02 August 2009 - 03:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

IMO, this appears to be the SATA driver, http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Version V1.0.0.7

Description Silicon Image Serial ATA IDE Driver V1.0.0.7 and Raid Driver V1.0.0.7 for Windows XP/2K/2003

File Size 24.69 (MBytes) 2004/07/01 update

Download from Global China P2P

Select China as the download location. When you download the file, put it on a floppy and install it at the appropriate time that the XP install CD suggests. This will not work if you are using anything other than a Microsoft XP CD to attempt this install.

Louis

#3 blamzero

blamzero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I may be missing something, but the executable that downloads from that is much too big to place on a floppy. Is there some way to get at the appropriate files, some place to look after installing it, perhaps? Forgive my ignorance on this. I did try just using the Serial ATA driver that was right below it on the download screen

Version V1.0.0.7

Description Silicon Image Serial ATA Raid Driver V1.0.0.7 for Windows XP/2K/2003.
File Size 158.66 (KBytes),

and that installed well enough during the bootup/setup process, or so it said, but I was still left with the no hard disk detected error.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

OK.

I should have done this sooner...let's go into the BIOS and see if it detects the drive properly...never mind that the XP CD cannot. Is the drive reflected properly there on the main BIOS screen?

Go into the BIOS...see if the BIOS allows for IDE emulation for SATA hard drives (which gets around the ostensible need for a SATA driver). If so, set the BIOS for such, save the settings, and then attempt to install XP normally (without loading any drivers during the install process).

Louis

#5 blamzero

blamzero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

In fact I see no sign of the hard drive present on the main BIOS screen. That seems like a bad thing. I'm guessing it would be pretty evident if it was there. Also, looking I did not see anything about IDE emulation, though perchance that's something I'd see only if I could also see the harddrive.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

Well...if you have a hard drive properly connected to the motherboard...and it's not reflected in the BIOS...I don't know what to tell (I've never seen such).

I guess that I would replace the cable and check the connections.

I'd also replace that drive (temporarily) with a known good drive...just to get an idea of what is not going on.

Louis

#7 kituhi1234

kituhi1234

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:37 AM

hey buddy...

open yur CPU case n boot yur system, check f yu get any beep sound r tick sound from HDD(i think yu dint say anythn abt it..so it shuld b fine)

jus touch yur HDD wid a finger n chek f its gettin heated, chek 4 disc spinnin feeling..k

if s spiniin ten its obvious tat yur power control s fine..

d prob s wid IDE data cable...
switch off yur OC
remov d HDD cable n try using yur CD/DVD drive cables.. make sure yu hav connected it fine N restart yur system

now chek d boot screens whtr it detects yur HDD.. mostly i wil do...(loose connection may b r cable damaged)

r els ther s prob wid yur IDE/SATA port n d MotherBoard.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users