Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software shows more ram slots than truly exist...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

Recently I ran a few applications (Belarc, PCWizard, SIW) on an older XP machine to determine ram type, amount, speed and availability – with the intention of upgrading.
All 3 programs showed that I had two 512Mb DDR PC-400 occupying 2 of 4 available slots (0 and 1 were taken but 2 &3 were shown to be free) and so I ordered two more of the same – to take my existing 1024Mb ram to 2Gb.

When I opened my case however, there were in fact only two (0 & 1) of those slots in existence – and both were obviously already full.
I have since returned both 512 for two 1024 replacements (I still want my ram increase of course) and they’ll be arriving any day now…

Clues(?):
1. A new Foxconn motherboard was recently installed – the old mobo had four slots, btw.
2. It is an older machine with multiple [former] installations of XP on C: and D:
3. Hard drives were not reformatted (wiped) for reinstallation of XP – merely partitioned.

Question:
Any ideas why all three applications would indicate more slots than there actually were?
Is it possible that they could pick up old data from former board?
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

I think if you review the accompanying info for each of those programs...you will find a disclaimer about the accuracy of certain data.

That's probably why there are so many different types of utilities...trying to provide the same info to users.

If I wanted to know the number of RAM slots for a board I could not visually check...I'd take a look at the MB specs online.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users