Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bootup issues/ BIOS error

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

I recently installed 8 gigs of ram into my PC. I've got an ASUS P5N-e with dualcore 2.4 ghz, 8800gtx and an Apavia 680w power supply.
With 6 gigs( 3 sticks of ram) it will boot up just fine, but when I have all four sticks installed it will do one of two things: it will boot to this screen:
Award BootBlock BIOS V1.0
Copyright © 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error
Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Detecting IDE ATaPI device ...

Detecting floppy drive A media...
Drive A error. System Hault.

or it will boot up to the screen for my motherboard where I can press delete to enter BIOS but it freezes immediately as it gets to this screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

All sticks the same spec, same model, from same vendor?

Run Memtest86+ yet?

Louis

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Are you sure it's not a specific stick at fault, or a specific slot that's bad? Try taking out a different stick then from before, and/or try taking it out of as different slot as before.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

The RAM is all the same type. Patriot DDR2 PVS24G6400LLK. It seems pretty random upon when it wants to boot up.

Right now I have the battery out. I'm going to put that in and try to boot up and see if that helped for some reason. I've done some googleing regarding error messages like this and it seems to be something wrong with CMOS/BIOS and I might need to flash my BIOS or use my jumper for reset(both I don't know how to do).

I wouldn't know what to do for "Run Memtest86+"

I don't know why sometimes it just freezes when it's booting up to the "press delete to enter setup screen" because it seems like I get the error message FAR less.

I'm also on a 64 bit operating system for what it's worth.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

The RAM is all the same type. Patriot DDR2 PVS24G6400LLK. It seems pretty random upon when it wants to boot up.

Right now I have the battery out. I'm going to put that in and try to boot up and see if that helped for some reason. I've done some googleing regarding error messages like this and it seems to be something wrong with CMOS/BIOS and I might need to flash my BIOS or use my jumper for reset(both I don't know how to do).

By pulling the CMOS battery you have basically done the same thing as using the jumper to reset the BIOS. In order to flash the BIOS you need to know the current BIOS version. You`ll need to be able to enter set-up when prompted to do this. Possibly pulling out the new RAM will allow you to do this. Then you will need to go to the ASUS site, look up your motherboard and check if there is a more current version then the BIOS you now have. There should also be instructions on how to flash them.
CAUTION: I would use this as a last resort. BIOS flashinf is much easier and safer then it used to be. HOWEVER, a bad flash can hose the motherboard completely.

I wouldn't know what to do for "Run Memtest86+"

Memtest and how to use it can be found HERE. If you do not have a floppy drive on your machine them you will need the CD\ISO download.

I'm also on a 64 bit operating system for what it's worth.

I sure hope you are or anything over 3 Gigs is pretty much a waste. Do you have the manual for the motherboard? If not it can probably be downloaded from the ASUS site in PDF. There may be a setting that allows larger amounts of RAM to be recognized\used.

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 August 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#6 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

OK after resetting the battery and leaving it for 30 minutes I got to a different screen it says: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00pg
Copyright © 1984-2006, Phoenix Technoligies, LTD

ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0202

Main Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 2.40GHZ, 2 CPU(s)
Memory Testing: 6290432K OK(Installed Memory: 6291456K)

Primary IDE Master: none
Primary IDE Slave: none
Secondary IDe Master: none
Secondary IDE Slave: none
SATA 1: Hitachi HDT72...(model info)
SATA 2: none
SATA 3: none
SATA 4: none

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded

Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP
11/22/2006-C55-MCP51-P5N-ESLI-00

BTW I only have 3 sticks in instead of all 4, wish I would have tried 4 am going to press F1

It booted up normally, now. I'm still wondering about doing a memtest and figuring out that checksum thing before I try 8 gigs

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Running Memtest sure won`t hurt.

The checksum error may be normal. You originally had less then 6 Gigs installed? If you restart again with only 6 Gigs you should not get the error again.

#8 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

I attempted to run memtest, went to write it to a CD realized I didn't have any molex conectors hooked up to my cd drives, so I turn it off unplug the power hook one up try to boot back up(with six gigs) didn't get any error messages but again it "freezes" at the prompt to enter setup. Frusterated, I unlplug the molex connectors after disconnecting the PSU once more, try rebooting just how it was working minutes ago, and it keeps freezing at the prompt to enter setup. Can't run memtest86 without a CD lol, but getting the pc back to windows or into setup might be a priority.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

I attempted to run memtest, went to write it to a CD realized I didn't have any molex conectors hooked up to my cd drives, so I turn it off unplug the power hook one up try to boot back up(with six gigs) didn't get any error messages but again it "freezes" at the prompt to enter setup. Frusterated, I unlplug the molex connectors after disconnecting the PSU once more, try rebooting just how it was working minutes ago, and it keeps freezing at the prompt to enter setup. Can't run memtest86 without a CD lol, but getting the pc back to windows or into setup might be a priority.

Considering everything. I would go back to whatever your original memory configuration was prior to the problems starting. Restart the PC several times to see if that seems to solve the problem.

Burn memtest. Check and write down the BIOS version and revision if any for possible future use. Also have a look through the motherboard manual to see if there are any settings for running 4 Gigs or more. If there is find it in the BIOS and set it correctly.

This could be a voltage to memory issue but some one else with more experience then I will need to step in at that point.

We will assume that your original 2 sticks of RAM are good. So prior to running memtest I would pull them and put a new stick in Dimm 1. Let memtest run for several hours if no errors show up right away. Over night is best. Then repeat the procedure with any other new sticks, one at a time.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

That checksum error could be indicative of a failing CMOS battery...I would replace the battery (whether it cures or not). Certainly before entertaining the idea of flashing the BIOS.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#11 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

Replaced the battery, restarted with only 4 gigs. booted to bios and looked around in there for some settings for running more than 4 gigs. There weren't. I did find this in the manual though "Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 8 GB system memory when you install four 2 GB DDR2 memory modules." Which shouldn't account for not being able to boot with four 2 GB sticks o' ram.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Is THIS the mobo?

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 August 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#13 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Yes, that is the motherboard.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

Trying to read some info on the board so I do`t steer you wrong with some bad advice.

Dang.....the site is slow. :thumbsup:

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

All the pages I want to view are down "due to amount of traffic on line".

If you go HERE. Look on the left side. There is a link for trouble shooting start-up problems. It may be of help.

Also it looks like your BIOS version is an older one. There is supposed to be a utility on the disk you got with the mobo with a program on it to assist in flashing them. The only thing with this is after having looked at the newer BIOS revisions available on the site I do not see any that say they add support for additional memory. Do not think a BIOS flash is the cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users