Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 9.04 install on second harddrive w/ Win7RC.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

I have Windows 7RC installed on C drive and would like to install Ubuntu9.04 on my second harddrive (E). My first attempt I installed Ubuntu on a partition on C drive.I reinstalled Windows 7RC to delete the Ubuntu partiton. Now I'm a little apprehensive about trying it again.

Being a computer novice, it's better to ask for advice.

I thought this might work?

Disconnect the C drive SATA cable and boot from the Ubuntu CD. When finished installing Ubuntu reconnect the C drive SATA cable. Or am I opening a larger can of worms.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

hey Jim P
I am not sure what would happen if you try what you suggested. The biggest problem i can think of if you try that is that you will have all your hard drives renamed in your Ubuntu install, and therefore your boot will not work.

On the "Prepare disk" page of the installation, you should be able to choose between hard drives. There should be a dropdown box which will have the primary hard drive as "sda", you want to choose the secondary hard drive which will be "sdb or sdc"
Just remember to choose the option "Use entire Disc"

i hope that helps
Regards
~powerjuce

Edited by powerjuce, 02 August 2009 - 03:58 PM.

#3 Jim P

Jim P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Powerjuice,

Thanks for the advice. I must have missed the drop down box. That's where it got confusing for me.

I'll try it again.

Regards

Jim

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:52 AM

Powerjuice,

Thanks for the advice. I must have missed the drop down box. That's where it got confusing for me.

I'll try it again.

Regards

Jim

yes if you remove the sata cable from the C drive then it will install on E drive fine (select E drive)
but you dont need to , just select E drive when installing it

i would not disconnect the C drive becasue when you are installing grub(bootloader) it wont dectec the windows drive and will not put a menu for windows in its boot menu(and you will have to put the menu in your self)

if you install ubuntu on E drive then the dual boot loader(grub) will be on E drive, so you will have to tell the bios to boot from E drive(Sata1/2/3/4 or IDE1/2/3/4)

Edited by starcraftmaster, 03 August 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#5 curtadkins

curtadkins

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

I would actually do it just the way you were going to. That's how I do it every time. Since they are SATA drives, it makes it a bit easier. There are no primary and secondary drives in regard to SATA.

After you install Linux on the second drive, you can go into GRUB and add the Windows drive and then you will also have to change the device.map file to tell it where the windows drive is. There is a trick to it though when you edit the menu.lst file for GRUB. Windows has to be first or it complains about it. So what you can do it trick Windows into thinking that it is the primary drive when it really isn't. Windows is funny that way. It wants to complain but it's easily fooled :thumbsup:

I can post a step by step of how I do it and it has never failed me yet and I've been doing it that way for about 8 years :flowers:

Edited by curtadkins, 07 August 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#6 Jim P

Jim P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

I would actually do it just the way you were going to. That's how I do it every time. Since they are SATA drives, it makes it a bit easier. There are no primary and secondary drives in regard to SATA.

After you install Linux on the second drive, you can go into GRUB and add the Windows drive and then you will also have to change the device.map file to tell it where the windows drive is. There is a trick to it though when you edit the menu.lst file for GRUB. Windows has to be first or it complains about it. So what you can do it trick Windows into thinking that it is the primary drive when it really isn't. Windows is funny that way. It wants to complain but it's easily fooled :thumbsup:

I can post a step by step of how I do it and it has never failed me yet and I've been doing it that way for about 8 years :flowers:

Curt,

That would be helpfull.

Thanks

Jim

#7 curtadkins

curtadkins

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Hey Jim,

See if this helps.

If you run into some problems, feel free to post back or even email me or PM or whatever.

#8 Jim P

Jim P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

Hey Jim,

See if this helps.

If you run into some problems, feel free to post back or even email me or PM or whatever.

Curt,

I figured it out using the Ubuntu disk partition.I didn't need to disconnect the harddrive.

I now have a triple boot system. Win7 on drive C and Ubuntu 9.04 & Mint7 on the other drive, whatever Linux calls them?. The only thing I don't understand is when I boot into Win7 it only shows I have one harddrive, Disc C. It doesn't show the drive with ubuntu& Mint. Ubuntu & Mint sees the drive with Windows7. Is this normal? Everything works fine so it's not a big deal to me.

Thanks

Jim

#9 curtadkins

curtadkins

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

That is perfectly normal. Windows can not see a linux drive since it is extfs3 (or 4). Your Ubuntu and Mint installs should be able to see your windows drive no problem though since NTFS support is not very good.

Congrats though :thumbsup: !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users